1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! I need a Cheap fix for this.

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Pablo8383, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Pablo8383

Pablo8383 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there! Anyone give me advice on a cheap fix for bottom side of my garden. No experience gardening. But as we are in the middle of a lockdown. Might aswell make use of the time.

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,622
      Welcome to GC! :sign0016:

Are you wanting to get grass growing there, or are you looking for something a bit more like a planter? You could make yourself a raised bed which would require some wood and then some soil to put in it - whether you would class that as cheap or not remains to be seen.

• Pablo8383

Pablo8383 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Hi. Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of leveling it up with the concrete so i can put a large shed on there. Maybe stones and a few plants to separate from grass. Im not sure. First timer

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,622
        OK, I have quite a bit of recent experience with sheds, so hopefully can help a bit there - firstly, you want to have airflow under the shed to help keep it dry, so I sat mine up on breeze blocks (on their sides), spaced at fairly regular intervals under the bearers. Breeze blocks are as cheap as chips, so you could lay them out and then use bits of treated wood where needed between the breeze blocks and the bearers to level the shed up - that would mean that you won't have to spend money levelling the ground underneath the shed, as it would never be seen :)

Top tip - buy the best shed you can't afford (go for shiplap if you can, and as thick as you can) and take your time putting it up. I used Project Timber for mine, purely because you can spec the shed exactly as you want it.

• Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
        Ratings:
        +1,200
        Why not put a greenhouse, grow some tomatoes, cucumbers, chillies, salad leaves etc, save going to the supermarket, grow a few bags of spuds, home grown spicy chip salad sarnies.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Why is there what appears to be a surface water gully grating at the back adjacent the feather edge boarded fence?

As the gravel board at the bottom of the fencing would normally be level, and the slabs appear to be level with the brick courses on the left hand side and fall towards the grassy area on the right hand side, why the need for a drain?

Is there a drainage problem in that corner of your garden? Or was there previously some sort of structure there with roof drainage and a downpipe in that location?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020