1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

help identifying a shrub.

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by scotty, Mar 31, 2012.

1. scotty

scotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully someone will recognise this shrub. There are several in our park and girlfreind really likes the smell coming from them, it's a sort of sweet honey smell. Also the base's of the bushes look as though they are cut back hard to the ground regulary if that helps. I know it's very early in the season but thought some of the experts might be able to ID them.

IMG-20120329-00022.jpg IMG-20120329-00023.jpg

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
    Ratings:
    +3,271
    Hmmm!
    Can you say if your girlfriend is smelling the sweet honey scent now? OR later on in the year.

It looks as if it might be a honeysuckle.
    Maybe one such as Lonicera Honey Baby.
    However, at the moment there will be no scent.
    The scent only comes later with the flowers.

If the scenting right now, please try looking nearby. Maybe there is a Daphne.
    The scent from these carries for some distance.

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/l/lohbab.htm

3. scotty

scotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the smell is there right now and I pinned it down to this plant myself a few days ago as she couldn't pick out which plant it came from. I have two types of honeysuckle in my own garden and can't say I've noticed this smell there. I'm away tomorow for a few days but will check for the Daphne when I get back as the smell is noticable from quite a distance. Thanks for your help.

Scott

4. Silver surfer

Ratings:
    +3,271
    For a plant to produce scent at this time of year, in Britain, you need to be looking for flowers.
    Could be from a shrubby honeysuckle, but you need to see the flowers.eg Lonicera x purpusii.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=647&q=osmanthus&gbv=2&oq=osmanthus&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_l=img.1.0.0l10.3874l6749l0l8064l9l9l0l3l3l0l84l479l6l6l0.frgbld.#hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=lonicera+x+purpusii&oq=Lonicera+x+purpusii&aq=1&aqi=g2&aql=&gs_l=img.1.1.0l2.130444l140107l0l142086l27l23l0l12l12l0l144l825l4j4l9l0.frgbld.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=13277a29321720d&biw=1280&bih=647

It may possibly be coming from an evergreen shrub/ tree. Maybe 5 m away.
    Daphne was one suggestion. Maybe Daphne odora with small pinky white flowers.
    Another is Azara microphylla. It has tiny yellow flowers, that are almost hidden under the leaves.Smells like Vanilla.
    Another is Osmanthus. Evergreen with masses of small white flowers.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&cp=9&gs_id=10&xhr=t&q=daphne+odora&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=647&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=UVJ3T_b9CqOy0QW7jbm8DQ

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&cp=6&gs_id=o&xhr=t&q=azara+microphylla&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=647&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=PVF3T5XqKOGx0AWLr9zIDQ

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=647&q=osmanthus&gbv=2&oq=osmanthus&aq=0&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_l=img.1.0.0l10.3874l6749l0l8064l9l9l0l3l3l0l84l479l6l6l0.frgbld.

5. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    Sarcococca nearby? ....

maybe a bit late though as the one I planted has stopped flowering a few weeks ago

6. scotty

scotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks but as the leaves are only just coming out I will have to wait a bit to get a better idea.

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,527
    dim's idea of sarcoccoca is a possible. It has evergreen leaves and very small, highly scented flowers. Ours are still in flower. Our Daphne is also giving off a strong scent.

8. scotty

scotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a couple of pics taken today of the mystery shrub, any guesses?

IMG-20120523-00030.jpg IMG-20120523-00031.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  10. Silver surfer

Ratings:
    +3,271
    Thank you for the new pics.
    Hmm! Still thinking.
    Is it still scented now?

11. scotty

scotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No can't smell anything now.

12. scotty

scotty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Had a look at Philadelphus and think it is very alike. Funny thing is I've got a mock orange in the garden already but it's still very small. Will have to wait and see if the one in the park produces white flowers.

13. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,617
    I don't think it's Philadelphus as they don't usually spread like the one in the picture, they are not normally pruned hard to the ground either.

14. westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
    Ratings:
    +598
    I thought the last picture looked like philadelphus too. You can cut them right back although I agree that isn't usual, I did it through desperation one year after several branches were damaged and I was amazed at how well the plant grew back.