1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Help identifying this please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Mc79, Jul 11, 2021.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,335
    I've still got suckers coming up from some cordon plums I removed 4 years ago now, if you can pull them up, or dig them out rather than cut them off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,610
      I agree it's not Japanese Knotweed as the branches have a distinctive zig-zag to them. I too think they are suckers from a tree.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,494
        I agree on plum suckers. We have them all over the garden with some of them at least 30ft from the nearest plum tree. I dig and cut them back as I don't want to use killer on them (don't want to affect the tree).Where I've cut back in the lawns they now don't make a nuisance of themselves as I mow regularly. In the beds it is a once a year dig and cut back job.

• Like Like x 2
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +14,376
          I can vouch for there being absolutely no difference whether you tug the suckers off or cut them close to the woody root. The ****s come back anyway. Peach rootstocks are just as bad. :gaah:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Blue arbour

Blue arbour Gardener

Retired and loving it
            Ratings:
            +398
            It looks a bit like cherry tree suckers. When we had ours cut down, suckers appeared in the grass all over the lawn until the stump finally died. Just kept pulling them out and/or mowing them, and they eventually stopped appearing. I'm certainly no expert, but the leaves on your plant look different to the leaves posted of the Japanese knotweed. Hope you get it sorted soon.

• AdrianBg

AdrianBg Gardener

Ratings:
            +135
            No expert, but they look identical to the cherry saplings I have popping up around my garden, sometimes 20m or more from the nearest cherry tree. I'm not sure if they are suckers from roots or if they've grown from germinated cherry stones - since I've seen squirrels, magpies and pigeons carrying cherries all over the garden.