1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me choose a greenhouse!

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Arlandria, May 24, 2020.

1. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,325
    But, even if you have to have only 3 feet deep, it's always worth getting as big (ie wide) as you can afford - you will use it, I promise!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • BellaBlue

BellaBlue Gardener

Ratings:
      +455
      Then top end of your gardens seems pretty sunny to so why not place your greenhouse on the other side of the rambling rose feature? This should remove a 3ft restriction. It is also not spoiling any view as the rose rambler border is wider.

3ft is a little narrow for flower borders (mine are 1.2m many have 2m wide borders), overall it may be better to have both sides with 4ft wide borders which gives you more choice of greenhouses and more room for plants.

I have a 4x2, attached to the garage wall type greenhouse but what I really want is a Rhino 6 x 4 greenhouse, the one you have is never big enough :biggrin:

• Arlandria

Arlandria Gardener

Parent/Carer
      Ratings:
      +284
      Very true! The widest I've found so far is 3x6, but I'm still searching.

Because there's no shed base there, not nearly as much sun as there is here, and that's close to where my daughter's swing and slide will be, so it'd be more prone to accidental damage. There's plants there that we don't want to remove. It also means it's close to neither my raised beds nor my potting shed and will be just far away enough from each to be irritating :)

• sandymac

sandymac Super Gardener

engineer
      Ratings:
      +914
      Arlandria put it where you want and choose what you want, you have to live with it, I have a large 16feet long greenhouse near to my bungalow and wish I had put up a red cedar one rather than aluminium purely for the look, if you are worried about a view the wooden ones you suggested are much better at blending in and imo look better.
      Regds sandy

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Arlandria

Arlandria Gardener

Parent/Carer
        Ratings:
        +284
        Thanks Sandy! I think I just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't going in a daft direction, but this discussion has confirmed that I'm not, and also brought in some new info that'll help me get the right accessories.

Of course I had a look this morning and everything I was considering it out of stock so it's a bit moot now anyway! :loll: