1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! my new garden is a jungle mess!!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Emma Craik-Horan, Oct 24, 2014.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,023
    A rake will get most of it out for much less effort :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,523
      Just be careful with bindweed roots, they are very brittle (therefore easily broken) and every single tiny piece will make a new plant.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,472
        Best way to get shot of bindweed is to nurture it, give it some canes to grow up, and as it gets a nice healthy growth spurt on, douse the blighter with roundup - repeat a few times and you will eventually see the back of it

• Useful Useful x 2
        • Emma Craik-Horan

Emma Craik-Horan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          Where would I put the canes though as its all over the garden and some of the roots go down between the patio ending and the house!

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,472
          For those that are poking through the patio, I would get a wee plant pot full of soil/spent compost, shove the cane in that and sit it right next to the are where it is coming out of the ground; gently train it up on to the cane and let it wind itself round.

As I learned at my last house, and I know there are a good few others on here who will agree (from memory I think @"M" and @shiney are two of many that have given advice on this in the past), the key to getting rid of bindweed is to play the long game. You are not going to rid yourself of this nuisance in one season - you will need a sustained attack over and over again, but eventually you will get there. It is vital that you don't go ripping it out as it will leave bits of itself everywhere, and one tiny wee bit can make a new plant; disposal should be meticulous, into sealed bags and into general waste - - please, please do not compost it or put it into a council compost/garden waste bin lest they make their way into bags of compost for sale in B&Q etc.

Good luck, and remember - slowly, slowly kills the weedy. ;)

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,255
          I have brought the bindweed under control by gathering the shoots of each plant together and gently pulling directly upwards. This will remove about 6" of root at the same time. Then it gives you time to work on applying weed killer onto any new leaves that come through.

During the growing season (spring/summer) I just do a bindweed patrol every week and gently pull the roots up (I don't use chemicals in the garden) and, although time consuming, keeps it under control.

I think that @Kristen has successfully brought it under control with chemicals.

• Like Like x 1