1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

help needed on pruning two year old new apple tree please

Discussion in 'Trees' started by flower-power, Feb 23, 2014.

1. flower-power

flower-power Gardener

local authority
    Ratings:
    +35
    hello all, I have recently had delivered a 2 year old feathered apple tree.Its on m106 and I want to grow it as a half standard. I have been reading all the books concerning pruning and they all seem to say I think that I must cut off any branches on the lower stem and prune the main leader and other shoots by a third. this is my problem as my tree doesn't appear to have one main leader but two forming a type of goblet shape I suppose. have included a piccie below so you can see what i mean. I have put some blue string around the strongest one to see if this is the main leader. can anyone advise.

Attached Files:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,391
    Hi flower-power,
    Deep breath time.....it's a bit close to the fence to go for a 1/2 standard?? Unless you prune off the shoots growing towards the fence, forming a sort of flattened-back tree?
    How high is the clear stem at the moment and what height of clear trunk are you planning on?
    Would love to be able to do the fancy coloured-line editing thing, but no idea how to, so would suggest as follows;
    If the crown of the tree will be below fence-top level....cut off the wispy shoots as suggested by your books, then select the three strongest, evenly-spaced shoots and cut them back by a third (cut above an outward-growing bud), cutting out any spares and anything growing towards the fence. (If you're planning for the crown to be above top-of-fence level, insert a tall, sturdy cane near the trunk, prune out all but your be-ribboned stem which you tie to the cane, then tip-prune that above fence level, but it would be a shame to sacrifice the current growth as you'll have to wait longer while you form a new crown).

3. flower-power

flower-power Gardener

local authority
    Ratings:
    +35
    thanks for the reply. The tree is only in a temporary big pot at the moment as there are no borders yet so its not its final place. The fence is 6 foot high so the tree itself is I suppose about 5.1/2 feet. not really sure how tall a trunk in want ultimately i am thinking maybe four foot so I guess it may have about a foot to go