1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed please

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Kelc, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
    +208
    Hey
    I need help with my small garden please. This is my project this year. As a newbie I'm looking for lots of ideas on what to do.
    As you can see by the lawn it's bald in places and looking very sorry for itself.
    Some thoughts I had was maybe doing a border around edge for plants/flowers? Or more of a container garden?
    Im going to paint the fencing but don't want brown/green, something more light grey/blue? Not sure
    As for the grass itself I have no idea what to do. (I have dogs) 20220207_094444.jpg Screenshot_20220207-094710_Gallery.jpg

Also the other picture is whats left of my plants from last summer, they were just bought from the supermarket and reported but I wasn't sure if I'm meant to just bin them and start from fresh or if anything will grow back from them? They are petunias, cosmos etc

Any ideas/inspiration really appreciated

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,512
    Initial thought:-
    Light blue fencing is supposed to help make a garden look bigger but I have no first hand experience about that.

If you have dogs then I don' know whether it is worth trying to improve the lawn at this stage.

I would be inclined to put beds around the perimeter as you would then have the chance to get a range of heights of plants. with some framework and climbing plants.

Something like this looks good on a fence even before plants have started growing up it.

Arched Trellis panel (W)0.6m (H)1.5m | DIY at B&Q

• Like Like x 3
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,821
      I'd take up the decking and burn it then plant out the entire garden in a jungle stylee with a winding pathway and a couple of seating areas.
      Gardeners world have covered a few similar gardens over the years and they look awesome

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,050
        I'm not good at garden design so personally, being you have dogs, (how big?), I'd just try to get the grass growing when spring arrives, then paint the fence, maybe get some decking stain or similar.
        I think most of you plants will need replacing this year .

Perhaps some hanging baskets on the fence .

• Like Like x 2
        • Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
          +208
          Hi thankyou for your reply, I like the sound of beds around the perimeter. What do you mean by framework? Sorry it's all new to me.

• Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
          +208
          Thanks for the reply, unfortunatelyI can't take up the decking as its a rented property. The jungle style sounds great though.

• Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
          +208
          Thank you for your advice, definitely going to paint the fencing and clean up the decking.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,512
          Something like I put in the link or fixing some trellis to the fence for the plants to climb. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
            +208
            Ahhh okay got you

• Luseth

Luseth Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +22
            Owning a dog myself I wouldn't bother with the grass, as a suggestion, maybe gravel it all and create a garden around potted plants. I have seen a few shows on tv before now where potted gardens can look fantastic with lots of life. Plus if you are renting it means if you ever decide to move on you can take it all with you!

Maybe grow some evergreen's to give your garden some year round colour towards the fence, things that require little maintenance and maybe even some height to hide some of the fencing (help with the jungle suggestion above I reckon).

Do you have any young children about? If not I'd always recommend a pond or some sort of water feature, they tend to bring a garden to life I feel (I'd have it set off to the side rather than being the central feature though)

• Like Like x 2
            • Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
              +208
              Thankyou for your reply, I think im just going to leave the grass alone at the minute[, as for a pond, it sounds good but I have a 2 year old grandson and I would too nervous.
              I have been thinking about tropical plants for sure though.
              QUOTE="Luseth, post: 1355436, member: 35883"]Owning a dog myself I wouldn't bother with the grass, as a suggestion, maybe gravel it all and create a garden around potted plants. I have seen a few shows on tv before now where potted gardens can look fantastic with lots of life. Plus if you are renting it means if you ever decide to move on you can take it all with you!

Maybe grow some evergreen's to give your garden some year round colour towards the fence, things that require little maintenance and maybe even some height to hide some of the fencing (help with the jungle suggestion above I reckon).

Do you have any young children about? If not I'd always recommend a pond or some sort of water feature, they tend to bring a garden to life I feel (I'd have it set off to the side rather than being the central feature though)[/QUOTE]

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
              Ratings:
              +7,625
              As it's rented - are there are restrictions on what you can do in the lease?

My initial thoughts are to go for 'things' that can be easily removed and placed in another garden - by this I mean container gardening.

I would also be looking to add some height - have a look at my recent post in 'Your day (apart from) gardening' - the obelisk was £8 from Wilkinsons and the baskets are a couple of pounds each. I'm planning on putting Surfinia in those baskets - you would be amazed how many different colours they come in :spinning:.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                Ratings:
                +7,625
                One other thing to consider when purchasing containers. Go for terracotta pots - not plastic - terracotta will let more air into the soil around the roots and the plants will grow more strongly.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Bit of ducking and diving
                  Ratings:
                  +602
                  I'm fairly new to gardening too - well - I've been doing bits for years but only started seriously in the last few. And what I've found is that there are some plants which are easy to grow in most soils and aren't over fussy about water and light. And then there are the rest. I mostly do the former - with some attempts at the latter. I'm rubbish at watering (I travel for work) - so last year put in an irrigation system. The results were absolutely unbelievable!

I focused on annuals mostly finding that the wait for biennials is too painful at the beginning. I always plant sunflowers: they do like light but will grow OK without full sun too in my experience, as long as they've got some nutrient and a but of water. There are millions of types from dwarf multi-headed ones to giant singles that grow to 14 feet or so (estimated) in my garden. Cosmos just keeps flowering from mid summer; cornflowers are lovely and don't take a lot of looking after (at least not for me); a load of spring bulbs could go in, in sept/oct/nov - daffs and tulips for eg.

And then those fences are asking for a few climbers. Clemtis is fantastic for everyone but me (trying again this year...more light and more water maybe?): loads of great varieties; my absolute favourite though is Cobaea Scandsens - the cup and saucer vine. I'm in Jersey (so pretty mild) and it flowers right through the year. I think for most folks it stops in maybe October/November - but it is evergreen so gives cover at least. Once it gets going it will climb well along anything you give it - string, wire, trellis. I bougth a pack of 10 seeds on ebay for not a lot: great buy! Then sweet peas and morning glories are easy to grow, flower forever and look great! Both will grow in the ground or in pots. My MGs definitely liked the sun but the sweet peas were NE facing last year and did fantastically anyway. But they must both be watered regularly. If they dry out they die.

And lastly, if you can get a bit of organic material into that soil it will pay. There are others here who know stacks more than me - having been doing it for lifetimes, but I think in general the view is agreed that you get back what you put into your soil and some.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
                    +208
                    Those look great! Will look in wilko when I'm next in.
                    Our landlord is pretty good but I don't know how long we are going to be here so I guess pots/containers are the way forward.