1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help needed please

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Kelc, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
    +208
    Thankyou so much for your reply and your recommendations, will look at those flowers. Definitely the sound of the climbers! Have you got any pics of your garden? Would love to see some.

2. Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
    +208
    Thankyou , I will do

3. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,491
    If it were mine I plant the lawn space up with bold plants like already mentioned like jungle plants. I am getting the impression you still want some grass so I'd half the lawn diagonally starting from top left to bottom right of the decking ( or similar ), I'd block the top half off with a small picket fence and plant it up .

A few plants which will give you a jungle look and are easy to find - Fatsia - large leaf hostas - Ligularia - ferns - bamboo ( careful with variety ) and maybe a few exotics like canna - banana - dahlias . you can flip this look with English cottage garden or what ever look that interests you.

Also lots of other ideas like framing a bench ( or arbour ) / statue / bird bath in the bottom right corner and plant just near and around the subject .

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,341
      Although it's one of my favourites (had hundreds of flowers on ours last year) it is not evergreen or perennial on the mainland as it doesn't survive frost. During the growing season it's the fastest grower and you can almost see it climbing whilst you watch. Our ones grew up their 6ft support, 15ft across a catenary cable, up the side of the house and onto the roof in two months. The flowers are spectacular. :blue thumb:

• JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Bit of ducking and diving
      Ratings:
      +602
      There you go - every day's a learning day. I didn't realise its local performance was quite so climate related. We've had an exceptionally mild winter - even by Jersey standards. My cobaea is thrving and growing well! It's pushed a runner into the garage and is flowering inside!.. Hilarious. Despite growing so strongly, it doesn't feel like a thug because the plant is soft and the flowers are so big. But yes - I've got a few round the garden and they do go a bit mad! Love it.

• Like Like x 1
      • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
        +602
        My spelling is awful - apologies: the cup and saucer vine should have been cobaea scandens - Cobaea scandens

• Like Like x 1
        • Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
          +208
          It's amazing isn't it, I really want one now.
          You live in Jersey? How lovely. I'm not jealous oh okay yes I'm very jealous:)

• JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
          +602
          For sure. The first was in July maybe: the poppies were bonkers last year. The tall one there is an end of life echium - a bienneial which grows very well here and on the near french coast but I think struggles a bit in much of the UK. (Interested actually to hear if anyone does grow them?). They are called Bee Trees - the bees absolutely love them. And they self seed prolifically so if anyone wants a seedling, PM me and I can send.

The second picture was in October. All a bit end of season - and quite mad - with the new greenhouse getting built there. I feel so privileged to have it. An absolute joy to be in...

Garden summer 21 - 02.jpg Garden summer 21.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
            +602
            I've taken a load of seeds and could post you some if you want? I've no idea if they are viable though - but you could try if you want to. No drama either way.

And yes - we moved here 15 years ago with work. It's a funny place - bit like stepping back to 1950 in some ways. But a good place to bring up kids.

• Like Like x 1
            • Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
              +208
              Thankyou for your ideas, think I'm leaving the lawn as it is at minute with it being a rental and having dogs, but the other ideas sounds good

• Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
              +208
              Wow thats a lovely offer thankyou.

It sounds like a great place to live for sure. I would love to move away but there's always something holding me back.

• Kelc

Kelc Gardener

Ratings:
              +208
              Wow it looks amazing, aren't poppy's so pretty.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,341
              We have ours in a well sheltered bed. Our house on the N side (10ft away), large greenhouse on the S side (2ft away) and a high hedge on the W side (6ft away). Even with the shelter the plants didn't survive past November :noidea:.

As our plants don't last right through the winter the seeds have never developed long enough to be viable, although the fruit reaches the size of a very large egg.

• Like Like x 2
              • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
                +602
                Well I've got seeds - some of them look good (came out of a dried pod that just hadn't shed), but some were taken looking a bit white from green pods. But will any germinate? No idea!

My biggest plant does a good job of hiding a pretty ugly concrete garage which is outside my little office window. Hoping it will grow round the bird box I made for the missus for Christmas - and leave it looking a bit less stark and exposed. These are pictures I've just taken now. You can see the seed colour difference there. I wonder if the lighter ones have any chance at all... Cobaea 1.jpg Cobaea 2.jpg Cobaea 3.jpg Cobaea 4.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
                  +602
                  Well its scruffy and unkempt to be honest. And I find it very hard to throw or pull up a good plant so it's always overgrown. But I love it!

• Friendly Friendly x 1