1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help please with Greenhouse dis-assembly/assembly

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Pete L, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Pete L

Pete L Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I have been offered a 6X6 ali/glass greenhouse for free. A friend is moving into a house and was going to smash/skip it. It looks in nearly new condition no broken glass very little weathering etc. I have been told to number the panes of glass in a sequence photograph them and remove. Transport down the road to my house is only about 2 miles. The frames if they cannot be dismantled a neighbour with a trailer will give me a hand with this.
    Any suggestions or ideas will be very welcome.

2. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Peter Little, yes I have done exactly that, twice, I would photograph each side so that you know where the bracing goes, and measure the exact size of the base if you are preparing a solid base for it.

Main problem is when you dismantle, some of the rubber seals stick to the glass and pull out. Try not to let this happen. Also I think it is worth buying those stainless steel glazing spring clips rather than the usual galv.steel that go rusty.

Hope that helps, have fun ;)

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I did one not long ago. GC:- Garden Projects - Greenhouse

Laying the base and cleaning it all were the hard parts. :D Buy extra glazing clips and a spare pack of nuts and bolts as well as they are very easy to shear off when you try to undo them if the threads are damaged or corroded.

Edit: Fully dismantled, mine went into an old style Astra with no probs.

[ 17. July 2006, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: frogesque ]

4. Pete L

Pete L Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies and hints I will keep you informed as to how things proceed.

Peter L

5. Tipsy

Tipsy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I moved a 12' x 8' greenhouse last year...I took photographs prior to dismantling then used different coloured tapes to keep the various sections together
    Re assembling was comparatively easy but I was thankful of those photgraphs

Good luck

6. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Clever move Tipsy,Welcome to GC

7. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Probably too late now but another tip is to spray all the bolts etc with WD40 or similar the day before dismantling.
    Hope it all is going well. [​IMG]

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Pete put sheets of newspaper between the panes of glass when you stack them they can be a devil to get appart especially if they get wet (capillary attraction)

9. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    and dont lay the glass flat ceap them stading upright

10. johnross

johnross Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi ihave just moved a 6x8 ally greenhouse and the hardest bit was preparing it all for reassembly ie cleaning the glass and making sure the frame was level and square i broke 3 panes of glass but what the hell it was all free. needs quite a few w clips though. really keen to get something growing inside now.