Help required with trellis bushes/plants

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by shaz365, Jul 7, 2009.

1. shaz365

shaz365 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

I am completely new to gardening and havent been able to make much progress in finding a solution to my need..

I have a small garden with trellis at the top of all the fences. For more privacy and security from the field behind I would like some heavy green plants/bushes to be intertwined or locked onto the trellis all around.

I don't want to buy seeds that I plant and wait for years to achieve the results I want. I want to purchase the above and get it all going. The fence edges do not have any soil ...

Thanking you in advance

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,411
    Hello & welcome shaz.

I think you need some climbing evergreens to provide year round privacy. When you say "The fence edges do not have any soil ..." do you mean its concrete/paving or something? If so you are going to need containers to grow these plants in unless you can make some planting holes.

Where are you and what aspect is the fence (south facing sunny or shady, windy etc)?

3. shaz365

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the reply

I am in west london suburbs - middlesex.

There isnt much sun coming to the fence - I think the garden is south facing, a tree in the field behind overshadows the garden.

I want to get ones that are already grown - where could I get these?

Yes it is concrete, but getting containers is no problem. I just dont want to wait years to see them grow, I want to buy them from somewhere - not sure if possible and where?

thanks!

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    You'll need huge containers for long term climbers as eventually they'll outgrow the pots. Could you break up the concrete to make a few holes to plant climbers in, so they at least have access to the ground and can really spread their roots to grow. You'll get better coverage that way.

As for plants, even small ones make good progress after a year and don't cost a fortune and many of them are evergreen which is handy for winter!

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,411
    A Garden Centre is the obvious choice, the better ones are well organised so similar plants are kept together plus you will get some advice, unlike the cheaper DIY places like B&Q where you have to know what you're after before you go.

If you need lots of plants it would be better to go to a Nursery, like this one which is also online http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/acatalog/index.html its worth having a look at their web site its packed full of advice.

As SussexGardener says you will need big containers with the drawback that they will need watering during the spring/summer time, so if you can get down into the soil all the better.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I planted a clematis in a huge pot two years ago and it's done great but I know this winter/next spring I will have to plant it out...from now on, only annuals will go in pots.

7. shaz365

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the replies

So is it just a matter of buying large planters from the nurseries, burying them into soil, trailing them up the fence and through the trellis? Then watering?

Thansk

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    In a nutshell, yes. But you need to choose plants that suit where they'll be planted (shade, dappled shade, full sun) and even the biggest planters will eventually be too small.