1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help save my apple tree!

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by glenn austin, May 30, 2014.

1. glenn austin

glenn austin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm a new gardener, (and an idiot), i've accidently sprayed my apple tree all over with weed killer instead of bug killer. I'm distraught. what can i expect? slow death? I've washed it off with a couple of buckets of water, is there anything else I can do? Please help!

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi Glen and Welcome to GC.. :yikes: Oh dear that is a bad mistake to make, poor you.. I really wouldn't like to say if it will survive that.. Was it a glyphosate systemic weed killer like roundup.?Is it an older established tree or a young one and is it in a pot or the ground.?
    Not sure if washing it off straight away will do the job.. Plenty of washing off too.. ;)

I would think you will just have to wait and see...:scratch:

3. glenn austin

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. It's a fairly established tree I guess, 7 ft tall, but seems youngish. It's in the ground.it is the roundup brand, is that good or bad news?

4. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hmm I think you will just have to see.. If a systemic it depends how much the leaves absorbed before you washed it off.. It may take a week to show.. Sorry I cannot be more helpful, but maybe others along later may have a better idea..

5. glenn austin

Ratings:
    +0
    thankyou again. I washed it off within minutes. dammit i'm so depressed! Thanks for your help!

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    If it is Glyphosate based weedkiller then I think there is hope. Instructions on that say "Do not apply if it will rain within 6 hours" (or somesuch) as it is critical that it stays on the leaves for long enough to be "transported" into the plant.

7. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
  8. glenn austin

Ratings:
    +0
    it was roundup, even says fast acting on it...damn, i feel so glum..thanks for your help though.

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :SUNsmile: Try not to feel too glum Glen.. You are not the first to do it and I am sure not the last.. :thud: Not much comfort I know, but you never know your luck in gardening, so I think you will just have to wait and see and hope.. :thumbsup: