1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! squirrel digging up lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by mcmac74, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Actually, I will join in. ;)

"No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Re Rabbits with myzie, whack it hard behind the head with a heavy stick or similar.

If Killing squriels offends then dont do it, put up with the damadge simple. If your happy to kill them then make sure you do so in a humane way.

In the past I worked on several farms and at the time there was no economics in raising fresian bull calves for beef so I used to shoot them straight after birth also very ocasionaly the odd critically injured cow.

Nethier of these task was remotely plesant but both a necesity. The one think I was meticuless about was that they were dispached properly and quickly. I view killing pests ie: squirels, rabbits and pigeons in the same way.

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Probably a stupid question knowing me :rolleyes:
    why did they let the cows breed?

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    ''Probably a stupid question knowing me
    why did they let the cows breed?''

You want heifers calves to continue the milking heard, At the time no value in raising bull calves for beef and most breeding done by AI so no value of bull calves for breeding stock.

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I See Pro Gard.. still sad to me.. but thats farming and i can,t comment on something i know nothing about.. Thanks for your reply and you learn something new every day as the saying go,s

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hey, Ian. don't stop posting. "Variety is the spice of life" etc. We all love each other really. It's interesting to see other peoples attitudes and points of view. It widens your own horizons. I've worked in factories and nothing that anyone has said on the site has been anything other than "general banter".
    Pro G. I'm with you. :D

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have no problem about the 'wack on the back of the neck' treatment if you can catch them it is a quick death if done right.

My grandpa was a farmer and my uncle's were gamekeepers so I was always aware about killing animals and dealing with pests.

I know how to kill and skin an animal after all supermarkets wasn't a huge thing in the 70's in rural Lincolnshire we never went hungry but never ate a squirrel though! :D
    Helen.xxx.

8. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes I think you have to think of the bigger picture rather than just give in to the appeal of a cute cuddly creature. When I went to Formby once i got harangued by a woman. She had said that she would would have liked to see grey squirrels there as well. I said that they wouold have to be shot as they were a pest and would cause the extinction of the red colony. She said that it wasn't their fault, they were cute and I was evil and cruel to even think of killing them.
    People also forget that the only reason we have cute lambs and calves is because they will be killed for food, that is their sole reason for existence. John Seymour, the self sufficiency guru writes that if you eat meat but cannot kill the animal then you are a hypocrite. I hope one day to be able to keep chickens partly because I want to have eggs from chickens that are kept humanely. However it would also bring with it the responsibility to kill in a humane manner.
    We change our environment in so many ways that it disrupts the balance of nature and the natural balances. So sometimes it means we have to intervene, whether it be rabbits, deer or grey squirrels. It is sort of husbandry of nature but not sport.

9. RavenMad

RavenMad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  10. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    and, hopefully, ROLLS (over, dead) :D

11. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Not my avator I hope :eek:

12. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  13. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Bl00dy squirrels, always pinching each others nuts !

14. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Now that sounds very painful! :eek:
    Helen.xxx.

15. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +88,942
    Hello everyone just looking for someones Nuts