1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help! What's the best way to screen this awful view?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Adam Sanders, May 6, 2020.

1. Adam Sanders

Adam Sanders Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    OK, I'm at a loss here. Desperately need your help!

We bought our 3-year-old house in a bit of a rush a few months ago (Baby on the way, thought we were getting a good 'brexit' deal etc.) but hadn't really considered how overlooked it is or that the garden is north facing.

The garden is quite small - around 9 metres long by 10 metres wide and very overlooked. We also plan to extend to a max of 3 metres which will reduce the size even more.

And, because the garden is north facing, it only gets the sun at the back of the garden where we are hoping to put in a decked area or patio.

But the challenge is, how on earth do we screen the overlooking properties to the rear without eating into an ever decreasing garden too much?
    IMG_20200505_104148.jpg
    IMG_20200505_104154.jpg

Any help of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • jimcubs

jimcubs Gardener

Ratings:
      +598
    • Adam Sanders

Adam Sanders Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      "... @jimcubs told me to do it!" :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
        Welcome Adam. :) There are ways of dealing with your problem but you may well need planning permission. I gather the rear fence is 6ft high? Much higher than that then permission might need to be obtained and I'm not sure you will get it. With your garden facing north, to place anything higher than the fence will shut out sunlight from your neighbours.

A trellis could be mounted on top of the fence and climbing plants grown through it. Another option is pleached trees. Internet pictures below....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Snorky85 has recently planted this type of tree, perhaps she would be kind enough to add her thoughts. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
          Ratings:
          +10,974
          Hi there @Adam Sanders
          Yes I know this situation very well!

I've recently had to get planning permission for a front fence but couldnt get the height I wanted so have opted for a pleached hedge made from evergreen quercus ilex. upon delivery of trees I was hurled abuse at by a nasty neighbour as she would lose the view of my front garden :rolleyespink:

so there are a few pointers for you:

1) if someone complains about the hedge blocking their view well its tough-no one has a right to a view.

2) if it blocks light they have to prove it-there is a test ( https://assets.publishing.service.g...ads/attachment_data/file/9408/hedgeheight.pdf ) but basically-if the height of the tree is above 25Degree angle from their "habitable room" then you need to make the hedge shorter-all depends on distance from their windows. Also check out High hedges: complaining to the council Don't get caught out-do your research first.

3) if the hedge is deciduous then it doesn't really matter. They can complain about evergreen hedging if they want.

4) They cant complain if you do a mixture of different type trees. If you dont have two trees of the same nature next to each other then they cant complain either.

5) Check whether your council charges to complain about high hedging. It is done to put off vexatious complaints-at our local council it costs £300 to complain and you have to meet certain criteria. Ie the complainant has to try and approach you to resolve their concerns amicably first.

So that's my bit of advice based on my recent experience. Id also check out "Majestic Trees" as they have an excellent section on using trees to disguise and provide privacy in situations like yours. But beware-their trees are very very expensive! But you get what you pay for!

hope that helps!:spinning:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
            Last edited: May 8, 2020
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,497
            Some councils are now charging the complainant £400+ to look at a complaint about high hedges.

• Informative Informative x 3
            • Like Like x 1