1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Katsura issue please

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Ding, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Ding

Ding Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

I ordered an acer Kazura from Crocus and had to wait longer than expected for it to arrive, which is perfectly understandable during these exceptional times. When it finally arrived it was a bit battered with brown borders around some leaves. I blamed the delay in delivery and potted it straightaway. I used John Innes Ericaceous compost with added grit, drilled extra holes in the pot, added small pebbles at the bottom, put it in a sheltered corner.... all the things I read you need to make your acer-friend happy!

Unfortunately it doesn't look any happier and the new leaves seem to be browning too. What should I do???

I should say that I also got a tiny acer Butterfly from a local garden centre and I potted at the same time using same compost mix, etc. etc. It is doing fine with no brown bit on its minuscule leaves (they are so cute!).

It took me forever to chose the Katsura and now I'm very worried that I'm killing it so any help will really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ding

thumbnail 1.jpg thumbnail 2.jpg thumbnail 3.jpg

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Hi Ding, well, some of the damage looks like wind scorch, probably while still at the Nursery and, I think, if I remember rightly mine arrive in roughly the same condition. I worried about mine but in fact it carried on growing and shed the damaged leaves to become what it is now. So, I wouldn't worry too much, let the plant recover from being delivered, potted on and having to get used to a new environment and it should be fine.
    Just one point, the "experts" tell us that Acers should always be grown in ericaceous compost or soil but, in actual fact, Acers are quite happy in neutral compost or soil and my Acer Katura is, as you can see, in a large pot of a mixture of General Purpose Compost, sand, and potting grit.
    They like light shade and dislike harsh winds and will suffer from wind scorch if it's too harsh and my 35 year old Acer Brilliantissismum suffered, in the early years, badly from wind scorch but now has hardened off and there is now minimal or none
    So, Ding, I would leave your Katsura to recover from everything and it probably, sorry, won't be until next year that you will see it start to flourish.
    upload_2020-6-17_10-53-48.png

This is my, around 5 years old, Katsura
    upload_2020-6-17_10-54-49.png

upload_2020-6-17_10-55-23.png

3. Ding

Ding Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Armandii, that's reassuring. I'll move it to a more sheltered position as the weather has been so variable lately.

I have to say that your Katsura looks beautiful, exactly the reason why I ended up choosing it after a long pondering

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Well, it starts off the year with the leaves looking greeny/gold and then becomes that lovely red and orange that makes it stand out like a Beacon and catches the eyes of visitors. Then, as now, it starts to drop to a pale orange, and still looks good. To be honest, it seems to thrive on being left alone to get on with things so I just keep an eye on it and water it every now and then when I think it needs it. You made a good choice, Ding, and it will bring a grin to your face when it's established and you see that lovely colour.:heehee::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 1
      • Shubela

Shubela Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        F3119AF2-C6D3-409C-9A7C-58AA81FE4F66.jpeg Hi, I ordered a Katsura tree from Gardening Express along with a few other shrubs last year. Everything is flourishing apart from the Katsura tree which looks almost dead, apart from a couple of leaves which have appeared at the base. As a relatively new gardener, I don’t know if I should leave it alone, cut it back, feed it or what. The photos above make me want to persevere.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,077
        Can only suggest the bark scratch test, at various places down the stems.

I've got some established trees that are still leafless with only a few small shoots.

Have a look after dark, I've know snails or certain caterpillars to take out every shoot a tree makes.

Is there a chance that the first shoots were caught by a late frost?

• Shubela

Ratings:
        +2
        Hi Pete, thanks for your suggestions. I’ll try the bark test and I think you are right about the late frost, although nothing else was damaged in the same way. I take it that I can remove everything that’s dead?

And I’ll try to think of something to keep the snails away....

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,077
        Well yes you can prune back anything that is dead, but I'd leave it a while longer so that it is clearer what is dead and what isn't.

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,077
        I take it this is the Katsura tree, Cedrcidiphyllum, and not the tree the original post was about which is an Acer.

• Shubela

Ratings:
        +2
        Yes! my order lists it as Cercidiphyllum japonicum, Katsura Tree. As I’m new to this I hadn’t noticed that the original post was not the same.

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,077
        No, it can be confusing, it doesn't actually make much difference in this case, I just wanted to be sure what kind of plant we were talking about.:blue thumb:

• Shubela

Ratings:
        +2
        Hi, I did the bark test as Pete suggested and I think my tree is just “hanging on by a thread”. There are some stalks and leaves growing close to the base of the trunk so I was planning to cut it back and repot it in a smaller tub so that I can put it in the greenhouse this winter. Do you think this is worth trying? Any advice welcome.

9AC8D63B-A2ED-4826-8D6F-2471E32C85FD.jpeg

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,077
        Picture please of the lower shoots, it might help.
        Looks pretty dead where you have scraped it.

• Shubela

Ratings:
        +2
        5419D793-63B3-4E4B-8B84-5A2CAB122ED8.jpeg 2E6297D9-F0CC-42F3-95F4-8CEC36B89046.jpeg Yes, had a feeling that might be the case.

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,077
        Well I think that your only chance with it is to allow that bottom shoot grow and form a new tree.
        Might take a few years to get back to the size it was though.

I dont think I would disturb it by repotting.

• Like Like x 1