1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with lawn, advice needed.

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Liam G, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Liam G

Liam G Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I can still see some of the seed in places definitely not as much as I put down though. I've needed to go to the shed a few times so had to stand on it which may have packed it down especially since it's still really moist.

I might be being a impatient. I'll give it another 14 days and if not possible try reseeding again. It's just I want to frequently mow now to keep what I have healthy and keeping seeding will stop me doing this.
    Would it be a good idea to keep my clippings on the grass? Will this help spread(?) Grass quicker?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    If you can be bothered putting a plank/similar down, when you need to walk on it, would spread the weight. Need to lift it back up every time though :sad:

The blades will be well above the new emerging grass, so only the "wind" they create that might be a problem.

Generally yes, puts that "goodness" back for the grass, but in this case i think they might smother it a bit, so I would remove them.

3. seun akinsola

seun akinsola Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All, i figured i would post here as opposed to starting a new thread as i am in a similar boat as Liam (if that is wrong i do apologise, please let me know and i will start a new thread). new to gardening and trying to revive my lawn. i had new lawn laid in September (1st pic) looked lovely and lush, now it looks tired and dead (2nd pic), i watered it, mowed it but it didnt really survive the winter. now i am thinking of overseeding and topdressing and i need some advice. my soil i very clay based and i did not think the people that did the lawn in september added enough top soil before laying the grass, what i want to know is do i seed and then cover with compost, i have read that compost and grit or sharp sand would help being clay soil is this correct? do i just pour the seed on the ground and then tour the compost over it, does it matter the condition of the existing grass.

before.jpg after.jpg

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    How much did you cut off when you mowed it? If the grass was quite long when you first mowed it (its been a mild winter ...) and you took a fair bit off that may be most of the problem. Best not to cut more than 1/3rd off the length of the blades of grass ...

Is it a new build house? coz if so there may be builders rubble and all sorts buried which is wrecking the drainage and so on.

In general terms a new thread is probably better ... you might get multiple, different, opinions or discover that your problem is not as it at first seems. No hard and fast rules here (unless the MOD chooses the split the thread .. :) ) but "in general" separate thread usually works out better.

5. seun akinsola

seun akinsola Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Kristen,

thanks for the information, it isn't a new build house, we flattened the back lawn in september and got the guys that did that to lay new lawn... i probably took off more than 1/3 on the first mow.

i will start new thread.... thanks :)

6. Liam G

Liam G Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Bit of progress...all thanks to kristen.
    Needs a cut but seems summer is over now ‍♂️ and it's too wet.
    I'll leave seeding till autumn but I'm happy so far

Attached Files: