1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with new pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by bigbore, Jun 6, 2016.

1. bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +756
    Right then the time has come to start the sleeper pond, its going to be roughly 7.5ftx7.5ft and 4ft deep

Now as you can see by the pictures the land is far from level, now my question is what kind of action plan do i need to do first. Am i best to dig out the higher part making the ground level and then sit the sleepers or would you lay one sleeper at the back (highest bit) then build up the front with extra sleepers if that makes sense?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any help would be great on how to get started and what to do first

2. burnie

burnie Super Gardener

Retired engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,070
    When you say "sleeper pond", are you planning to have the full 4 foot above ground level?

3. bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +756
    One ft above the rest below

4. burnie

burnie Super Gardener

Retired engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,070
    I would be inclined to dig into the bank and make the back higher, leaving the front your one foot above, this will both support and insulate the three sides, just leaving the front to carry the weight. I would be inclined to make the front rail above the ground out of a thicker timber and when assembling the timber, glue it with Resin W wood glue as well as a couple of screws, that way it won't come apart. Are you using a flexible liner?