1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

help with turf for a complete beginner

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by craigm111189, Sep 11, 2020.

1. craigm111189

craigm111189 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a small area which I would like to lawn. I have attached pictures. Not sure where to start or if lawn will even be viable on this kind of ground. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]#

[​IMG]

2. JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Hi Craig, welcome to GC.
    It looks like you've got a 'sub soil' area there judging by the colour and stones present.
    It's not a large area, so if it were mine i would obtain a good few barrel loads of topsoil from somewhere (friend or family's garden perhaps) or you can buy some.
    Then I'd remove around 6" of the sub soil, top up with fresh top soil and lay turf over that.
    It will need regular watering until established.
    You can put down seed instead if you prefer (it's easy) but I'd still prepare the ground first as mentioned.
    Good luck!

3. Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
    +491
    Is that the only piece of lawn you have at the front, or is the lawn next to it yours as well?

Small patches of grass for me don't feel worth it. Especially since you're starting with such poor quality soil which needs serious improvement.

Have you considered covering it with a layer of decorative slate chippings or something like that? You'll need to dig out an inch or two below the level of the path, and then fill it with the stone chips. That looks very tidy.

And then to add some green interest, that's a perfect place to put a pot or several.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • craigm111189

Ratings:
      +0
      Turf seemed too much trouble for such a small place so I did this instead, ill probably add some potted plants etc.

Attached Files:

• craigm111189

Ratings:
      +0
    • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
      +491
      Looks tidy. As much as I like lawns, that little patch was going to be awkward. I think you've made the right choice. Now time to think about pots. :smile: