1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Heuchera and Vine Weevil

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Snorky85, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
    +151
    Not really a help in regards to vine weevil but I just came across a brilliant Telegraph article, a ‘how to’ in producing nematodes.

It encourages gardeners to collect slugs hitting the flower, fruit and veg patches, placing them in a bucket containing an inch of water and a few handfuls of leafy feed. Not all, but many slugs will already be infected by nematodes and heading down a downward spiral. Adding a further teaspoon of nematode powder to the brew will give the concoction more strength. After several days, dilute and sieve into a watering can and distribute around areas that are hit the most.

I’m game at giving anything a go once, in regards to pest control in the garden as long as it’s organic. I’m not really pro killing stuff if it can be avoided but slugs are a bit of an enemy in the garden. Their destruction in a single night can really put the boot in.

Anyway I’ll give it a go this season and report back to GC with my findings.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Hi,

Re the use of JI no 3 as a preventative method went to a couple of local garden centres in search of some JI.

The first was WyeVale who only had 25l bags in their own brand and at another place I found some Levingtons.

Comparing the two, the Wyevale looks like its mainly fine sand, while the Levington looks mainly fine peat.
      Suppose a lot depends on the definition of Loam and how its used in the mix, though following this list its hard to see how Wyevales contain just 1/6th sand.

The different John Innes Composts explained

Think I will stick with the Levingtons, the bag of Wyevale with be very handy for any plants needing the soil lightening /free draining.

Anyone else tried any other brands of JI ...?

• Like Like x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Westland and Levington are the two I usually use ricky:)
        I have long gone off Wyevale products

• Friendly Friendly x 1