1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Holiday

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by landimad, Jun 27, 2022.

1. sandymac

sandymac Super Gardener

engineer
    Ratings:
    +914
    I bought a verve water timer which looks identical to that Titan one from screwfix it has worked a treat, i have had three holidays and all has been well in fact i just leave it on all the time and check around pots etc once in a while and all good only runs on two small batteries and readout still says batteries are 100% charged after three months,
    Only took a week to fine tune on timings

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
      Ratings:
      +915
      31WE2npXlwL._AC_.jpg
      This plus a timer should cover the issue of watering. 2100hrs and 0500hrs should be ok in my opinion. Thanks for the advice and tips which helps to make up my mind.:hapfeet:
      :thanks:

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • SunnyGin

SunnyGin Gardener

Ratings:
        +583
        @landimad Way to go, you can have a great holiday AND come back to healthy plants.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • landimad

Retired Rail worker
          Ratings:
          +915
          Well, that has topped it off for my plants. We have just been told a local hosepipe ban will be in force from Friday for the next fortnight. They are trying to conserve water and feel this is the only way it can be done. There seems to be a trend of this going on with spies and snowflakes trying to get people fined for using them. Have asked a neighbour but again if they get caught then they are fined and I get fined upon return. Talk about making money out of nothing.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,361
          If you have physical problems and can get a medical letter to say so then you may be able to get an exemption. It's up to the water authority whether they accept it.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,201
            Instead of using a spray head like your photo showed, you could use a soaker hose wound over the top of your grouped pot plants, connected to a timer set to come on at night, who would know or even see such use ?
            As they say going to be hot, errect some kind of screen to keep the pots well shaded.

If all else fails, its still possible for someone to use a watering can, takes a little longer but often more effective.

• Like Like x 1
            • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
              +7,636
              Do not despair, @landimad , it's not a full orchard but just some pots. You don't need a sophisticated system for your holiday, just a helping hand will see at least 80% of your plants surviving.

Get plenty of buckets (10 of these will hold 140l water for a tenner) and a person to water the pots by hand twice or more often. Local charities may find people who would be delighted to do the task, and a donation towards the charity would really maximise the good your holiday is doing- not just for your wellbeing but also to a good cause. :)

• Like Like x 2
              • landimad

Retired Rail worker
                Ratings:
                +915
                Oh how I wish folk round here were like that. Lovely idea and would jump at the chance. Shame all they think about is themselves and how much grief they can cause new folk with there holier than thou attitude here. Of course they would not do well as they get paid help to do their tasks. Its at times like this I wish I had moved where I intended, YORKSHIRE. God's own countryside and full of friendly folk too.

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • landimad

Retired Rail worker
                  Ratings:
                  +915
                  Well holiday over, and I think all bar one plant have survived.
                  Thanks for all the tips and advice you kindly offered up, as you can see the idea was to use the dribble hose on a skeletal frame over the alley to work off a timer. The neighbour came through and has been over everyday to water while away. I did state every other but she was persistent.
                  No fish were caught during the time away and I think it maybe time to hang up the tackle as casting any distance over 50 feet just cannot do.
                  Strawberries have had their season, and the tomatoes are ripening lovely. Peppers are now filling out in hope that I get at least one bell and plenty of Apache.

• Like Like x 6
                  • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,456
                    In Yorkshire there is a saying.

If er tha does ought for nought, alas do it for tha sen.

Or in modern English, if ever you do anything for nothing, always do it for yourself.

• Funny Funny x 2