1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Holidays

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by strongylodon, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,281
    Der never really thought about it as I am a new gardener, but we do about three cruises a year, but nothing left back home to care for
    Now I have a greenhouse and garden, I have to think of the plants, and I am doing my two cruises OK only a couple of weeks each but I am doing my retirement 120 day world cruise to this year

I will have to trust and pay my two daughters for garden maintenace or postpone the greenhouse for the current year :scratch:

Jack McH

• Like Like x 3
    • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      Of course Jack, you could always stay at home and look after the greenhouse and pay your daughters to do the world cruise in your place.:loll::loll::dbgrtmb: Just a thought.:D:D

• Like Like x 2
      • maksim

maksim Gardener

Worker in Milan Malpensa Airport
        Castano Primo (Milan), 6 degrees south, 8 degrees
        Ratings:
        +59
        It is Turkey. Is it ?
        Such a "sea colour" could be also in Sardinia, Puglia, Sicily and Calabria (Italy), Spain (I guess), Croatia (I guess), Greece.
        You could draw lots...
        What's out ? Sardinia ? Well, go to Sardinia.
        Greece ? Well, go to Greece...
        Spain ? Ibiza ? Go to Ibiza...
        I tell you what: go wherever you want provided it is located at a latitude around 40 north. Sure enough, you will find this kind of sea...
        Provided it is on the Mediterranean Sea.
        Because on the Atlantic Ocean (cooler than the Mediterranean Sea) it is not this way.
        Lovely sea, anyway...
        Indeed.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I'm sure we can lash up a self watering system & solar operated vents somehow Jack:dbgrtmb:

I've made a vent using an old computer fan, very low voltage, and the solar panel off an old battery charger. When the sun comes out, it'll suck the excess heat out of the greenhouse.

@ Strongylodon, i'm in Dorset at the moment so be afraid:D:WINK1:

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
        Ratings:
        +10,523
        As usual we will be taking our annual 2 week stay in Key West, Fl. mid May to early June. It is hard for me to leave then as the gardens are just waking up beautifully, but unfortunately the week activites with the group there are not under my control.

Then, end of July we have a wedding to attend in Malibu, Calif. This is a nephew getting married. I am only planning to spend a few days in Malibu, Calif, then travel a short hour to see some cousins in Whittier, Calif. then up to the airport for a quick flight to Eugene, Oregon to head for the coast line, just love the coast line, will spend a few days traveling that and staying in some B&B's then up to Seatle, WA to spend about 4 days with another set of cousins then fly home.
        I did a similiar trip like this about 20 years ago, just love the coast line of Oregon, so beautiful.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Your west coast holiday sounds great Redstar. It must be quite a drive Malibu to Seattle , what distance is that :scratch: I would love to drive up the north Ca and Oregon coast one day :thumbsup:

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        Hi Maksim , yes Olu Deniz is Turkey . I have been to quite a few of the other places you have mentioned , but I have never seen a Turquoise colour as vivid as the ones in the photos . I wonder what gives the Mediterranean Sea this colour :scratch: Possibly no tides and bright sunlight .

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        I would take a geological stab in the dark at it being a high concentration of calcium minerals. All the run off from the limestone mountain ranges, like The Dolomites for one, and the only place it can mix with the rest of the Worlds oceans is the narrow gap, the Straights of Gibraltar.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,320

Not wishing to detract from the beauty of the Med but you can get that colour anywhere in the world. It is influenced not only by minerals but more by colour of the sky, lighting conditions, angle of sun, depth of water above different types of shorelines and what is on or in the water.

These are just photos I've picked at random from three different continents but could probably find dozens more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like to go back to all of these sometime but not sure I'll manage it.

• Like Like x 3
        • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,508
          Hi folks.

I'm not 'beachy' person, but I reckon Myrtos beach in Kefalonia takes some beating. The following pic doesn't really do it justice.

[​IMG]

Just to add, a couple of the scenes from Captain Corelli's Mandolin were filmed here :)

• Like Like x 3
          • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
            Ratings:
            +10,739
            We found a good example of this a few years ago while on holiday in Norway.
            This is Lake Lovatnet. The water is a wonderful turquoise colour, caused by clay particles and rock dust ground up and washed into the lake from nearby glaciers.
            We both agreed it was quite the most stunningly beautiful place we had ever seen.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
            • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,385
              nic cages film captain corellis mandolin was filmed there(one of my favs),kefalonia :love30: gorgeous xx ive been a few places in greece but its on my list,you can visit from zanti i hear :) stunning ideal greek island for a peaceful hol x

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
              Ratings:
              +6,543
              If anyone is looking for a good place to stay in Wales I can recommend New Quay for stunning scenery and resident dolphins in the bays:)

• Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
              Ratings:
              +770
              Mrs Pal and I are taking a break in Bath...tomorrow until tuesday to celebrate our Coral anniversary,we will be staying at the Hilton hotel...:blue thumb:April 23rd..St George's day!:paladin:

• Like Like x 1
              • Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
                Ratings:
                +770
                I do hope you will be wearing a red rose too:)