1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hollyhocks

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by miraflores, Mar 7, 2016.

1. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I have just bought a bargain....maybe. I have opened this hollyhocks packet expecting to find a bulb but I find instead a couple of quite small lenght of root that looks quite dry...is that the real thing? will anything come up do you think?:sad:

2. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Java,

Yeah, Hollyhocks are often sold as bare-root plants, like Roses etc.

I don't know where you live so you have two options.....

Just get them planted into pots and keep in a frost free area.

Or, if you live in a relatively mild area you can plant them straight out as per instructions.

3. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    thanks...I was mainly wondering whether they forgot to put the bulb in the bag :th scifD36:...

It is relatively mild here in the Far East of London. We did have a few frosts but all in all very reasonable weather. There are quite a few hollyhocks around. Once it is grown, does it spread only via roots and does the main plant die? Or?

4. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Once it's established it will form a small clump and you'll be able to split them if you want more.

After it flowers the main stem which will probably be about 5' high will die back and you'll be able to cut that off. You'll find more little plants growing from the base.