1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Home delivery costs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ThePlantAssassin, Jan 23, 2021.

1. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Im lucky enough or unlucky enough depending on how you look at it to be on Tesco's priority order home delivery slot list.
    Out of curiosity I did some looking around and made quite a shocking discovery.

Asda 1hr slots readily available during the day @£1.75 if booked up to a week ahead

Tesco 4hr slots rarer but available @£3.00 booked 2-3 weeks ahead

Tesco PRIORITY slots for use by disabled, disadvantaged or vulnerable people.
    Very thin on the ground with very limited availability and then only 2-4 weeks ahead and with an 8hr slot anytime between 2pm and 10pm............ £4.50

There is something very wrong with this picture. Any way I look at it Tesco are taking advantage of the very people who need the most help..........or am I seeing this wrong?
    Id be very interested in all your thoughts.

To add insult to injury the delivery driver who bought my last order informed me the contents of my boxes were 'interesting' due to so many of their pickers and drivers being off sick with Covid. Unfortunately it made me view my items as if they were radioactive and Im struggling to use them. And as a double insult one of the subs ........ordered a 4 pack peach yougurt @ 99p (special offer) subbed with a SINGLE pot of Skyr cherry @95p............ and they did me the FAVOUR of a 4p price match refund!!! eerrrrr no thanks!
    Plus a lovely pot of dead Basil! Grrrr

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      We pay £10 for a three month delivery pass with Sainsburys.
      They have been excellent right through the year. Occasionally they send a replacement item but it's usually a good alternative which we get at the same price even if it's a more expensive one. The supermarket staff and drivers are unsung heroes in these lockdown times.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        While the Superstores like Tesco etc, say they're doing for the good of it's customers the last thing they are are a Charity and are only there to make money and want to cover their costs for delivery by charging for it. I do like their latest advertising where they are proudly stating that they are bring some of their goods down to the same price as Aldi's, which means in the in the first place, it's better to go to the likes of Aldi's/LIDLs to get even better value for other goods.....which to me is giving Aldi/LIDL's free advertising, admitting they are cheaper and, basically, shooting themselves in the foot.:scratch::doh:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Creative Creative x 1
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,374
          I've had trouble getting a priority slot for my disabled brother , he hadn't bothered to get one during the 1st lockdown. I was assured that he would still be eligible last November so went ahead trying to secure him one with Asda ( where he already had an online account) . I had such a hard time trying to even make contact with them so in the end I was advised to phone our local council , they were very helpful and said they would try on my behalf. Two days later they admitted that Asda was proving hard to get any helpful info from and so suggested that I contact their head office in Leeds.
          Waited 30 minutes to be connected to a real human, I was told that all they were able to offer ( until the end of January.....must re-check this) was a recurring slot every fortnight on a Saturday 1-2pm, but as we were now in November this couldn't be done until after Christmas!!

In reality all they were offering were 3 slots in total.
          Thanks Asda!!
          Logging into my brother's account in January....true to their word they had given him the slots for January.....on a closer look I soon realised they had allocated him £7 slots!!! I then looked to see what other( if any ) were still available and was absolutely fuming to see slots still available for two days earlier on the Wednesday for £2 & £3:50!!!
          Needless to say we booked one of those instead.

I just think it's shameful to dish out the expensive slots to disabled and very vulnerable people without asking them when in the week would suit them best, most I can guarantee would not really choose the prime time and expensive ones.

I was led to believe that this was all that was available at short notice from our local store at the time of arranging it for my brother.
          But obviously this was not the case....shame on you Asda!!

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            To be fair to those Superstores they'e damned if they do and damned if they don't because they are being overwhelmed by requests for slots and they can't really vet those saying they are most in need, and a lot of those doing so, I bet, are the same mass of people who went out stripping the Stores with their selfish panic buying.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +54,374
              No ,I had to register my brother through the Gov.UK site first @ARMANDII ....they knew he was eligible as they had contacted him during the 1st lockdown to say he had to shield. I had to give his NHS number too ( obviously to verify his disabilities and other significant health issues)

I was also given a number to verify that he had applied and been accepted onto the scheme, this was supplied to Asda too.
              So no vetting was required at all.

Ordinary people can't contact them to request a priority slot. Has to be done via the correct channels......otherwise able bodied people would be robbing the needy of them!!!

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Some friends of mine went that route, Upsdaisy, and both are registered disable but were unable to get any slots.:wallbanging:

• Informative Informative x 2
                • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +54,374
                  I know ,exactly ,how sad.:sad:

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                    Ratings:
                    +6,097
                    Thankfully. Daughter Amanda has take control of my/our online shopping. She has mentioned the delivery charge by Tesco. I transfer my part of the bill over to her, plus adding a few bob here and there.

When all this began. I tried to register with Sainsbury's. My local store is a ten minute walk away. Stating I was on the high risk list, I was basically told to get stuffed. So I have very little time for that company any more.

I agree with Armandii that all companies are out to make a profit, but Tesco have taken on many more staff, and provided transport etc. They deserve to increase their profits. Now still using Tesco, we have no problems getting slots.

I have to say though. I miss getting into the car during the evening and going shopping.

• Like Like x 2
                    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +16,246
                      I pay £5 a month for a regular slot with Asda. Had absolutely no problem with substitutes, sometimes availability of items is a problem. Thankfully not beer! You can get off peak slots from £1 ( late Wednesday) or peak Saturday morning £7 :yikes:. Booking at the moment is about 3 weeks in advance. So if you reserve the slot regularly, 3 weeks in advance, you can get regular weekly deliveries.
                      Minimum order is £40.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +54,374
                        @HarryS we too use Asda and have no problem with them .:dbgrtmb: But it seems to me that through information I have received not only from our local Council and Social Services but also from my own dealings with them that they are not very compliant when seeking support for needy and vulnerable customers. :sad:

• Like Like x 2
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +118,524
                          We have a 'vulnerability' slot fortnightly with Sainsbury's. They have some slots, that we always pick, that are no charge ones. They never charge for the 6.30 a.m. slot (that time of day is perfect for me) and I always tick 'no substitutes' and almost never not receive something that I ordered. That's probably because we only tend to pick more basic types of products and never pick pre-cooked items.

I do a top up shop in person inbetween for fresh fruit and veg and go to the Tesco on the edge of the main town, 6 miles away, for when they open at 6 a.m. I'm usually in and out quickly before any other shoppers have arrived. Christmas week they were open 24 hours a day so I went at 3 a.m. :rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 3
                          • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                            +7,689
                            I have ordered a weekly home delivery from Tesco for over a decade and pay £7/ a month for as many deliveries as I wish. I have been quite impressed with them, during the first lockdown they waived the fee as it was very difficult to get slots. Then they introduced 4th week booking for delivery saver customers which works very well.

I have now four weeks always booked, and just amend the order the night before it arrives. Perfect :)

Substitutes are rare but you do get a good deal when it happens. This week I had ordered one courgette, instead I had two packs of them = 6 for the price of one. We'll make stuffed boats :)

Here is an interesting find. Amazon Prime customers (yes, me again) can buy Morrisons groceries via Amazon and get same day delivery. I tested it once just out of curiosity, and indeed it works a treat. So if I fancy a pint of milk I can just buy it there. I don't, because it feels like cheating with people struggling to find slots, and a weekly Tesco delivery is perfectly fine for us. But interesting!

• Like Like x 3
                            • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                              +54,374
                              Yes our eldest told us about Amazon/ Morrisons last week, very handy indeed.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                              • Purple Streaks

Purple Streaks Gardener

Ratings:
                                +720
                                It's Morrison's for us , we don't always get what we order but we usually get their choice of subs..the subs are not always our choice and we can be paying more but it's better than nothing.
                                I admit at first I moaned but then thinking about the situation I put myself in their place .........like many many others they are doing the best they can with whatever supplies are coming in and we are very grateful , hopefully they will stay safe

• Agree Agree x 3
                                • Like Like x 2
                                • Friendly Friendly x 2