1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Honeysuckle planting depth.

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Darren W, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Darren W

Darren W Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hiya, this question is probably a little unconventional as I appreciate it is not really the ideal way to do it. However, I have a Honeysuckle ( Lonicera Graham Thomas ) planted 2 years growing up an old tree trunk, on an embankment, well established and flowering well.

I have to build up the level of the soil around it by approximately 18 inches. I don’t really want to disturb it, if I can get away with making the ground up around the bare stems will not hurt it. “So” that is my question. If I bury 18 inches of the bare stems will it “layer” ie send out roots from the nodes buried or will it suffer?

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      18" is a lot! Maybe too much? :noidea:
      Yes, it might layer itself but you can help it by lowering a stem or two, nicking the undersides with a sharp knife and pushing the stems in the soil and either pegging down or placing a stone over them.
      If the main plant struggles at least you have the layered stems to take over. In fact, I would layer 3 or 4 if you can. :)
      Can you build up the soil around your plant without getting too close to it? Maybe leaving a sort of moat. :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Darren W

Darren W Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Ahhhh....thanks Verdun, not a bad call. I could build up the ground behind, layer in to that and then risk it at the front once the have taken . I might try that.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,634
        2 years old stems might be too woody to readily sprout if buried, but probably some will. To make sure you don't lose the plant, Verdun's advise sounds perfect. :) In addition it might be worthwhile taking cuttings from the fresh top growth and once rooted in pots, plant them in.

My Lonicera cuttings taken a month ago rooted straight away and filled their pots in a few weeks in this lovely weather. It's a tough plant so as long as there are healthy roots the cuttings can go in the fresh soil.

• Like Like x 1