1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How big a pot for Chillis / Peppers?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Will Dunkerley, May 29, 2005.

1. Will Dunkerley

Will Dunkerley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my chilli's recovered from their droopy stage, and are now looking pretty good - they're up to about 6 inches (I hope that's good anyway - I've never grown them before).

I'm going to put them into bigger pots today, but I don't know how big I ought to go. I want to keep them in the greenhouse because we have the room, and everything I put in the garden except the sweetcorn has struggled.

What size pots should I get, and how big do you think the plants will get?

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have never done well with chilli's (I have tried them planted out in the greenhouse border) however my Bruv in law who grows them in pots always does well...in fact he says they not only do better in pots but also if kept slighlty rootbound too!

So I would say pot them up in to one not too much bigger than what they are currently in....thats what I am doing this year and I'll see if its an improvement

3. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I grow most of my chilli's in grow bags they do very well in them,but I also do some in pots they usually end up in 9inch pots which also do well. I have grown jalapenos, cayenne,bird eye,serrano,they usually grow to about 2-3feet in hieght,I'm doing scotch bonnet,tobasco, also this year.Hope this helps ;)

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    So you like them hot then [​IMG]

5. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I'm a bit of a chilli head.Usually make sweet chilli sauce,chutney,dry some too so I always grow quite a lot. I love this time of year when they are all growing on quite happily' or am I a bit sad?

6. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes its a good time of year, the greenhouse heaves a sigh of relief as all the bedders go out [​IMG]

7. Will Dunkerley

Will Dunkerley Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies - I went for a bit of a mixture of pot sizes, so we'll see which ones do better. The warmer night time temperatures seem to be making a difference though - at last [​IMG]

8. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah my chillis and peper plants look fab after the weekend of lovely weather (one even has a flower bud :cool: )

I'm sticking them into 6" pots over the next week and see how they go. I'll move them up to another size later in the year depending on how fast they grow [​IMG]

9. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    So much for the weekend of lovely weather!

I think your name is more suited to todays Aqua [​IMG]

10. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well its raining again! in fact to be the same tommorrow.Still trying to harden off my annuals but they keep getting water logged. I just love the summertime here in scotland in fact I love it so much I think I should emigrate :(

11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    But where would you go. :D

12. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure but I think it would be somewhere like Madiera mabe ah yes I think that would do nicely [​IMG]

13. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    Thats it, somewhere that it dont get too hot, dont get too cold, dont get too dry. Bit of a small place though, it would soon get full up. [​IMG]

14. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    At this moment in time it still sounds good to me

15. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064