1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel when ...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Victoria, Jun 28, 2020.

?

How do you feel when you are told you CANNOT do something, like go away from your home or you are to

1. I do what I want to do.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I obey the rules.

44.4%
  3. In the current situation I obey, otherwise I do what I want to do.

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,949
    This relates to the current pandemic, but can also mean life in general.

Ah, have never done a poll before and just noticed the end of the sentence is missing which said ... "or tell you you MUST do something like wear a mask etc"

• Like Like x 2
      Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,689
      I'm a Finn so genetically programmed to Obey. :biggrin: When we lived in Italy I often found some clashes with this. I remember when the president Ciampi was expected to drive through our modest town. The poker straight road was closed for traffic, policemen dotting both sides at 100m intervals, not even a butterfly in sight left or right for miles and miles. I was returning from the supermarket, pressed the traffic light button and dutifully waited for the light to turn green. The police officer next to me said gently that perhaps I'm OK to cross the road seen that there is no vehicle within miles.

I did, and felt very guilty but somehow liberated. Wild rebellion in Finnish way. :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Various , allegedly retired
        Ratings:
        +1,218
        I live on a very small Irish island with no GardaĆ­ ( police) . There are no laws out here therefore. Islands here were severely quarantined at the start of covid as one case would mean the whole island went down and we have a lot of old folk. But I have no doubt there have been ins and outs. I see the ferryman coming and going...

Re masks. I would wear one if we were ordered to or even if we were not. Rebelling against rules that are there for public safety is antisocial and plain stooopid. I keep one by the door here but see no one face to face now. All the safety laws re covid are common sense.

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,527
          I do what I like - but I like to follow the rules!!! :rolleyespink:

Interpretation of rules is down to common sense.

I always wear a mask and gloves when going into shops, whether they're empty or not. Seems practical to me. The gloves I wear are very thin leather very much like wearing cotton gloves. They wash very easily. Masks are used in rotation and never more frequently than once a week.

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +49,623
            I had a wee furtle under the bonnet @Victoria to see if I could extend the amount of text, but it is not possible I'm afraid.

I chose the last option, because it sums things up quite well - however, I have to admit that my patience is now wearing very (very) thin as I do not see why I should be made a prisoner whilst others are not being remotely sensible (think beaches, protests and 'block parties')

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,218
              Surely all the more reason for us to show sense. So why even think of endangering YOUR health as they are doing?

And we are hardly prisoners.

" Do to others as you would have them do to you."

"I chose the last option, because it sums things up quite well - however, I have to admit that my patience is now wearing very (very) thin as I do not see why I should be made a prisoner whilst others are not being remotely sensible (think beaches, protests and 'block parties')[/QUOTE]"

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
              At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
              Ratings:
              +49,623
              Sorry @Islander77 - for the past three months, I have barely been out of the house; when I did so, I was driving others to the supermarket or chemist etc, and not able to go and do things for myself. I cannot return to my place of work until at least August, and even then the advice is that if I can work from home, I should. Throughout this whole charade, I've been working pretty much 12-14 hour days, only seeing the garden or the greenhouse at weekends, so I do very much feel as though I am a prisoner.

I have no desire to restrict others unnecessarily, but as I finally am able to get out of the house and go into a supermarket, what if I am unfortunate enough to come into contact with one of those who have crammed themselves onto a beach etc and they are carrying this virus?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +86,077
              None of the above.
              I use my own thinking, if its advisory I dont take the advise, but if I'm forced by law I usually give in.:biggrin:
              Still dont wear a seat belt most of the time.

Anyway, we are not allowed masks, because there aint enough to go round, so we have face coverings.:roflol:

• Like Like x 1
              • Islander77

Islander77 Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,218
                I know; but I have barely been out of the house for nearly two years. And this is a permanent aspect of my life. My immune system is down so at any time even before covid the outside world is a danger.

You learn to live with it. You really do . And you change your priorities. Adapt or suffer.
                And that some are sheerly stooopid makes me value the outside world even less frankly.

Anger at them is wasted energy. Avoid, and enjoy life.

And that some are totally irresponsible as you say makes adapting more vita
                Wear a mask in shops etc also.

Or would you let them rule your emotions?

And no you are not a prisoner any more than I am. Far from it.

Yes, part of me would enjoy getting the ferry, driving through the lovely countryside and fossicking round the shops, and everything else I used to do, but then I could not replace the car and just had to accept that. I was promised an " island car" but then came covid so it is stll in Dublin.. Now my knee has given out so I can barely walk, all of which takes accepting and getting used to BUT does not make me a prisoner unless I allow it to. And no way am I going to do that!
                We all still have so much.

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  Last edited: Jun 29, 2020