1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do your grapevines grow

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by 2nd_bassoon, Jul 1, 2018.

1. 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    I would love to grow grapes, and have seen several neighbours with productive vines in their gardens so assume it is possible in our area. Realistically, however, we both don't have space for a vine in our current garden, and are unlikely to stay here long enough to benefit from one.

From what I've read, however, it seems that grapes are quite slow-growing, and it will be a few years before a new vine is big enough to crop. So I'm wondering if it's worth getting a small plant now to start off in a pot, with a view to moving it with me to a (currently very hypothetical) new permenant home in a year or two.

Or should I just be paitient and wait until I've got space and time to do it properly in one place?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,656
    Yeah go for it, I've had a couple of bunches last year off of a pot grown Muscat.
    You need to keep on top of the pruning, but they are capable of cropping, short term at least, in large pots, kind of grown as a bush really.

Best to pick a variety that is suitable for outdoor growing though, if that is the long tern intention.

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I stuck mine in the greenhouse as it only produced tiny grapes outside.

The flower buds fell off it though :doh:

DSCI0001 (4).JPG

4. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    I'd go for it. A small one should not be expensive, and I think you may be surprised by how well and how fast it grows in its pot. I planted a vine in the border, against a south-facing wall back in April, and am really pleased by how quickly it's been growing ever since. Even if you don't get fruit for a while, the leaves are very attractive. Beautiful autumn colours, too.

5. Nosivad

Nosivad Apprentice Gardener

Silver digger
    Ratings:
    +8
    What is the best time of the year to transplant a vine, a friend has two in his poly tunnel that he does not want.......Regards Dave D

6. Peter K

Peter K Gardener

Ratings:
    +126
    I also grow grapes in the greenhouse
    CB2CD55F-51D0-45E3-8144-8394A1526E4A.jpeg

7. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,267
    Now while they are dormant.

8. andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
    Ratings:
    +2,369
    I planted three outdoor varieties last year and they didn't grow a great deal. At the same time father in law planted a greenhouse variety and that has grown over 8 feet in a year. Mine are a longer term project to cover this and hopefully provide a bit of shade. You can see them at the base of the posts.

IMG_3277.JPG