1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How long for grass seed to germinate?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by beany_bot, May 13, 2010.

1. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    :D

I now have plans for the rogue grass growing between the paving in the front garden!

Nice one!

2. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Ooof, the grass that has sprouted is at mowing height, meanwhile there are still massive bare patches.

:(

Im losing heart, it still looks like a bald head with the few occasional hairs.

DR, Ive listened to your advice and have transplanted the clumps Ive found, but it could never be enough to make a difference.

Also the uneven germination now means Id have difficulty in using the rake to rough up the duff patches.

Do you think anyone would notice if I scalped 30 sqm of my local park overnight?
    As Im hauled away in cuffs, I'll make sure to name check you Doghouse.

3. Tommy

Tommy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

:rotfl:

Nice one :D

4. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437

Laugh on the other side of your face Tommy! As of this evening:

[​IMG]

However it does mostly still look like this! I fear as DGR said the seed is simply sitting on top of my sunbaked clay soil :(

[​IMG]

There has been lots of forking - next step is lawn sand.

5. Tommy

Tommy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Get some topsoil, mix it with lots of seed and then throw it all over that "grass" :thmb:

My neighbour did that, and it worked a treat. Doesnt look great at first but after a couple of weeks, the seeds should germinate. Try it. :)

6. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    [​IMG]

Thanks to Tommy- topsoil, sand and almost the entire contents of my water butt.