1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you feed your pots / baskets / planters

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by The Gardening Banker, May 22, 2013.

1. The Gardening Banker

The Gardening Banker Gardener

Banker!
    Ratings:
    +47
    Planning on getting all my pots finished this weekend and wondering how frequently people feed them? Have a variety of bedding plants in them - surfinia, dianthus, million bells etc

I use miracle gro powder which I add to my watering can and also use the hose end feeder in height of summer (whenever that is!). Anybody got any good alternatives, always been quite pleased with results but have heard Richard Jackson's flower power can give good results?

2. al n

al n Total Gardener

self employed
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    I've used in the past years tomato food and miracle grow, but tend to use phostrogen now, once a week both the borders and planters. I have got tomato feed and miracle grow "once" sachets that I will use as well.

I've read that phostrogen is essentially the same as miracle grow but is cheaper and doesn't dye your hand in a blue hue.

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I use Westland slow release pellets ( the one that looks like hundreds and thousands ) in all my planters and baskets . Like Aln I used MG and tom feed later in the year but now use Phostrogen once a fortnight , seems to work OK :dbgrtmb:

4. Scorpio1968

Scorpio1968 Gardener

Business Development Manager
    Ratings:
    +245
    I use Vitax Liquid Seaweed once a fortnight but i only use 1/4 of the normal dose. I use full dose on the Bamboos though when the new shoots come through, except on the Zig Zag one which grew straight one year due to the accelerated growth.