1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How to deal with rose sawflies?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Black Orchid, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
    +583
    Hello, sawflies started damaging my roses about 3 years ago. I use garlic + soap spray on my roses but it does not help much. Each day I collect several sawflies from my roses and if I see damaged stems I immediately cut them off. I would appreciate it very much if you could advise me how to deal with sawflies (but I prefer not to use chemicals).

2. The Buddleja Garden

The Buddleja Garden Gardener

Grower
    Ratings:
    +216
    Garlic and chilli spray!

Insecticides are not very effective on sawfly, because they are related to bees and amateur insecticides are supposedly "bee-friendly" (not very friendly, but enough to stop them being effective on sawfly).

Boil three crushed garlic cloves and a tablespoon of chilli flakes in a half litre of water with a tiny drop of washing-up liquid. Cool, filter and use as a spray. It's both a deterrent and an irritant – the little grubs will drop off to get away from the chilli.

Don't breathe it in. Quite harmless, but it will make you cough.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
      +583
      Thank you. I will try to use your advice.