1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How to fill a patchy Forsythia hedge?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Roy22, Jun 29, 2014.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,508
    The stones should not form a solid barrier beneath the laurel but that depends on how deep the stones are. The roots prefer to go downwards but will grow sideways if not able to go down. The problem with them going sideways is that you may then get the plants wanting to grow upwards outside of where you want them.

Having stones in the soil is not a problem if there's room for the roots to continue on downwards between them.

Laurel can be cut at the same time as privet (probably won't be necessary to do it as often) but when the plants are first growing it would be best to cut them by hand so you can be choosy on where you want them to bush out.

I don't know anything about architectural fabric but it needs to be porous. @Kristen will be able to tell you more about that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      No. You need woven weed suppressing fabric. I've tried barrier membranes and they tear and then that's that :sad:

• Roy22

Roy22 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you both for the further info. When you say:

'Laurel can be cut at the same time as privet (probably won't be necessary to do it as often) but when the plants are first growing it would be best to cut them by hand so you can be choosy on where you want them to bush out.'

How would a novice like me want to prune it? I know it's obvious to you!

This is the Lansdscape Fabric I have (sorry can't post as a working link yet due to forum restrictions, so please google description):

Wickes Heavy Duty Landscape Fabric 12M X 1M
      Product Code: 160175

It says it's woven, is it likely to be OK?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
    • shiney

Ratings:
      +118,508
      You would normally prune it to help it thicken up. This is done by cutting it (individual stems) so that it will sprout two or more new stems from where you have cut it. This way you can help it thicken up in the right place.

It may seem like too much work to cut stems individually but the plants will only be small and not have that many stems.

If you do plant the hedge then, after 12-18 months you can take a good photo and we can show you where to cut it.

• Roy22

Roy22 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you both for your further info and for reposting my link. I'll try to obtain the better grade fabric you describe. I may well take you up on your offer re pruning advice! The only question that I didn't ask, what sort of planting density (depending obviously on plant size) would you suggest for fairly quick dense cover, without squeezing the life out of them?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I'd describe it differently: Rather than a a "better grade", its a different type of material. It is designed to prevent being ripped / tearing, whereas Terram is designed to be laid, not puncture, and to then stay put.

I have used Terram under a hedge and it was a disaster. After a year or two it ripped, weeds came though, and it now impregnated with weeds and looks a complete mess.

Sorry, don't know about planting density for a Forsythia hedge. I always think that plant proximity is far too close - I like to consider the plants when mature, rather than what would be appropriate when planted. For example: I think that growing a foot apart is very close for a mature hedge plant.

I have planted tall hedge plants, to try to get a hedge established more quickly, and I have planted small ones, and after 3 years the small ones have caught up ... so I now favour planting small-ish plants, quicker to establish, and a huge saving pricewise (comparing a 2M bare root hedging plant with a 40/60cm one)

• shiney

Ratings:
      +118,508
      The supplier of the hedging, presumably laurel, should give you some guidelines but you don't want them too close.

If they're 2ft - 3ft tall (that's the maximum I would want to use at this time of year because they will require quite a lot of watering) you want the centres at least 2ft-3ft apart. You need to give them room to spread a bit as they have a less upright growth pattern than privet.