1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How to germinate tree lupins

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by ben01, Jan 17, 2013.

1. ben01

ben01 Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all, I have some seed of some tree lupins but not having much luck getting them to germinate. I have some seeds left that I have not sown, I want to give it another go. Has anyone had any experience growing tree lupins from seed. If so can someone please advise me on how to do so. Many thanks ben01 :)

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Lupinus arboreus?
    As it's a member of the Fabaceae family I would soak the seeds in warm water for 24/48 hours before sowing. Some people reckon that they need a cool period - I would do that before soaking.

3. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    I've grown these from seed twice before, and found filing a small amount off the outer shell of the seed works,by rubbing it on a piece of sandpaper, didn't survive for more than a couple of years in my heavy clay, even with plenty of grit added :cry3: , normal lupins do fine so have to stick to them, oh well sometimes you just have to admit defeat :biggrin: , hope you have more luck with yours Ben.

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Wife grew some years ago. Nothing at all happened the year she did them, but she wouldn't let me chuck the trays away. They were left outside right over winter, and she got loads the following year.

At the time we were unaware of the concept of 'cold stratification'. In hindsight, that's probably what did it.

5. ben01

ben01 Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks all, i've sown them now. I rubbed them,put them in a pot of good compost and watered.I then put that into my unheated greenhouse. I guess the recent cold will do them some good. Just have to wait now, will keep you posted as to if they come up. :)

• Like Like x 1