1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make compost suitable for succulents

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by wren1, Oct 10, 2015.

1. wren1

wren1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +53
    I got a few mini succulents from Homebase at the beginning of summer. I feel I should repot them as I'm aware the compost they are sold in is often not suitable for them.

I've stopped watering them to let go dormant over winter, but as they are in such tiny pots and they're so dry, they often fall over and the compost spills everywhere.

I've held off buying cactus compost as it is expensive though I've also found lots of people online saying "don't use cactus compost".

So, how can I make a suitable compost at home? Forgive me, but I don't really want to go and buy a big bag of something I'm only going to use a tiny bit of...

I've got multipurpose compost, gravel, sharp sand, builders sand...and I've heard people mention you can use cat litter?! Can I do anything with these things to make a suitable soil?

I'm attaching a pic!

I should add I'm quite new to gardening so don't know about all the different types of compost.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      Hi Wren, was wondering the same. I bought 2 houseleeks from bnq. My label says dig soil improver and bonemeal into planting area, position plant so root ball is level with surface, replace soil firm and water.. however I done a bit of googling most mentioned using stones or gravel so I'm a bit lost too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Hi Wren,

I grow a few succulents and I've never potted them in anything other than normal multi-purpose compost. The thing to remember is not to overpot them. I notice that you have a Crassula ( Money or Jade plant ), these grow better if you only pot on when it's absolutely necessary and then preferably into a shallow container as they are shallow rooting.

• Like Like x 1
        • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi Lyn,

Houseleeks are a different matter as these are outdoor plants. These need good drainage, so putting into a gravelly spot is better. They will even grow in cracks in paving or walls etc.

• Like Like x 1
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,726
            Well, as you know, now is not a good time to be repotting.
            At this time of the year I'd tend to replant, pot and all, into a slightly bigger pot of just grit, if its just stability problems, then repot properly in spring.

Are you growing them as house plants or in a cool greenhouse?
            It makes a bit of difference regarding watering.

• Like Like x 1
            • wren1

wren1 Gardener

Ratings:
              +53
              If you mean me, I am growing them as house plants. Is it right not to water them until Spring?

• wren1

wren1 Gardener

Ratings:
              +53
              Thanks for the advice. Sorry, what does overpot mean? Putting them in a pot that's too big?

• Agree Agree x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,726
                You might need to water just a bit over winter, depending on temperature, just dont let them shrivel too much.
                I'd still not repot properly until spring.
                Then I would use JI no3 with 50% grit added, or you could use 25% sharp sand, 25% grit.

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                Ratings:
                +6,224
                Thank you Mr Rogers will put them outdoors and sorry Wren, I thought they were the same.:doh:

• Like Like x 1