How to move aggregate?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Mohsin Khan, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Mohsin Khan

Mohsin Khan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone,

I am about to lay 20mm pea gravel onto a 17m2 area in my back garden. I will require around 1.7 Tonnes / 2 bulk bags for it for 50mm recommended depth.

My issue is that the bulk bags cannot be delivered to my back garden and will be quite a journey to move them from front of the house to the back.

I'm assuming wheelbarrow is my best bet? Can anyone tell from experience how many rounds it would take roughly to move the aggregate in an 85L (3 cubit foot) wheelbarrow?

Also, if there are any tips on how to move wheelbarrow over a couple of steps, that would be very helpful!

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    These 2 sites suggest you'll need 1.50 to 1.53 tonnes for 17m2 at 50mm deep, but you'll still need 2 bulk bags, and they will be much cheaper than 1 bulk bag plus lots of 25kg bags.

Gravel Calculator
    Gravel Calculator | Calculate How Much Gravel You Need

I would be happy moving 75kg (3 x 25kg) in a barrow and would find anything in excess of that unwieldy, especially loose material. Shifting the whole 1.7 tonnes would require 23 trips.

The easiest way to get up steps with a full load is to turn the barrow round and pull it up. Whether going up or down them, putting something like a brick or block of wood tight in the base of the step, (turning each one into 2 smaller steps) will make it easier.

Making a vertical cut in in the side of the bulk bag will make shovelling the lower gravel out much easier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Mohsin Khan

Mohsin Khan Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1

Hi Scrungee - thank you so much for the help. I will follow the instructed when I get to doing it next week.

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,482
      Also if you can find another person to help lift and push wheelbarrow up the steps which will make thing easyer

• Like Like x 1
      • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        Why not make a ramp?
        It only needs to be an off-cut of stirlingboard or plywood, even six inches wide would be enough. Just wheel or drag the barrow up it.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,392
        Make sure you have a wheelbarrow with a pneumatic tyre, they are so much easier to handle and ride the lumps and bumps much better.

• Agree Agree x 1