1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How to use capillary matting?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Glynn Rigby, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Glynn Rigby

Glynn Rigby Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

new to here, just starting to garden and grow seedlings with mixed success. I’ve been told that lining my seed trays with capillary matting will help keep seeds properly watered but my seed pots seem waterlogged and like mud.

I soaked the matting in water then lined the trays, should I have wrung out the matting first?

any general practical advice on how to use capillary matting would be appreciated,

thankyou
    Glynn

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,630
    I've never lined a seed try with capillary matting.
    The idea is you lay the matting on the bench, on top of polyethylene, then the end of the matting is placed in a water reservoir of some kind.
    It when draws up water and spreads it over the matting.

You place seed trays or pots on the matting and water is drawn up via the drainage hole by capillary attraction.

3. Glynn Rigby

Glynn Rigby Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Pete and thanks for the explanation, makes sense to me. I didn’t explain myself so well before. What I meant was that I lined the bottom of my propagators with the capillary matting. So I can’t do that in the way you described. Hope that’s a bit clearer?

thanks
    Glynn

• Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,630
      I wouldn't use it in a propagator.