1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Humans are plague on Earth!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mowgley, Jan 22, 2013.

1. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,077
      Had he said such a thing at the beginning of his career, he probably never would have had one.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,946
        I heard something on the radio before Christmas and a scientist (not sure who) stated that with 50 years we will either wipe ourselves out by famine or be so advanced we will be living on other planets. Much the same an Attenborough has said about famine. I can't see us living else where myself.

Rusty

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        The problem is natural selection.

There are people that think, and people that don't. The former tend to plan their family size in accordance of what they can manage. There will be unexpected surprises of course, but there wont be 10 kids in the same house at once. The latter group just don't care. They will create a population boom that might be a problem for the world in a few years time, but more immediately is a problem for the state, us lot, that have to find a way to pay for them all.

• Like Like x 3
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,617
          He's not wrong is he? Reducing population makes sense, the Chinese have had family size restrictions for quite a while.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,077
          To some extent I agree, but I think what he is saying is much bigger than what is happening in the UK, although we are part of it.
          We keep sending aid to Africa to prop up populations that, that part of the world can never support.
          China tried population control and the rest of the world condemned them.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,596
            Yep, I was just using the UK as an example, but its kind of similar everywhere I guess. Doesn't matter where in the world you look, you will always find a mix of thinkers and thickos. Thinkers will always try to make sure they can provide for themselves and their families and wont produce more kids while the ones they've already got are going hungry.

In Spain, I learned a few years ago (so may have changed since), that if nobody in a household works, so they claim their equivalent of our jobseekers allowance etc, the payment is per household rather than per person, so that there is no incentive to have a big family if you can't support one, because the capped household allowance if you end up out of work has to be shared out between everyone in the house. Makes perfect sense to me.

• joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,385
            I agree with what his concerns are but he wasnt concerned about over population when selling his dvds :)im sure it must of worked in his favour :blue thumb: And i do love and respect everthing david has done,ive bought loads of his dvds :)

• catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
            Ratings:
            +2,250
            Personally I think nature is going to strike back HARD. Possibly some sort of pandemic like the Spanish flu. With the overcrowding and the ability to travel ANYWHERE, in very little time, it will spread like wildfire. Nature does have a way of balancing itself out.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1