1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

HYDROPONICS

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Finngal, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Finngal

Finngal Gardener

Ratings:
    +57
    My hydroponic beans have just started to make mini beans! I'm so happy, its my first time growing beans indoors, so all a massive learning curve. Just wanted to share this.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,204
      Hi,

Great ! :)

Think you will need to use a soft makeup brush to pollenate the flowers once they open.

Also be on the lookout for any slugs or snails that may have come in with some compost or pots, they go mad for runner beans !

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Finngal

Finngal Gardener

Ratings:
        +57
        Thanks!
        Yeah, I've been lucky to having grown these indoors from seeds and totally without compost, so no pests detected - yet - hehehe
        How long from this stage to first meal?

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,204
          Hi,
          Well they have the water and food they always crave, its just down to a warmth and light that they get in sunmer.
          Would say about 3 weeks to become a pickable size of 150-200mm long, though indoor in mid winter its going to be interesting to see how long they really take ...:smile:

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,616
            Wow. Can you post pictures of the hydroponic set up please? I've hemmed and hawed about investing in a small set up but kept backing off for no really good reason.

• Like Like x 1
            • Finngal

Finngal Gardener

Ratings:
              +57
              Yeah, there are few photos on my profile (gallery). I went with a basic pieces from supragarden, but supercharged huge custom built version of it, and then changed the water system and built a structure to fit my needs. It was to create something unique.

I am really looking to see what comes from it. The beans were started month ago from seed, today they have mini-beans. Tomatoes also from seed one month and they are over 50cm now. Cucumber and butternuts are about 30cm high. Basil already harvested. Its quick, grow rate appears on steroids.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +86,035
                The plants have flower buds, not mini beans, as @ricky101 states the flowers once fully open will need to be pollenated.
                Beans are well known for dropping their first flowers.

So, best you don't count your chickens until they are hatched.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Finngal

Finngal Gardener

Ratings:
                  +57
                  Yeah, I kinda figured they were flowers (considering none have appeared so far).
                  But good to know they drop first ones, as I would certainly panic without knowing that. Thanks! Saved me having a hissy fit for few missing petals. Just imagine what happened when apple June drop occurred first time around...

I'm super excited, its different having the real plants in front of you to studying theory from YouTube videos and books. And even though I've grown lots of other things, beans bits the first time, so I'm a newbie in this.

• Like Like x 2
                  • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                    Ratings:
                    +30,616
                    Thank you @Finngal . I looked at your photos and funnily enough, it's the first time I ever visited a members photo gallery on their profile :doh:

Think my problem is courage. I see you have your set up on a wooden floor. I would be in constant panic stations worrying about water leaking. I need to build up courage!

Thanks for sharing :)

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +4,204
                      Hi @CanadianLori and @Finngal

As metioned in Finngals opening post the essence of her system is the Ebb and Flow method which can be done with just one pot and a bottle for the pump and water reservoir.

Though amazing to see Finnagals system there is no need to start of with such an elaborate layout, you could litertally do it with any size pots at table level.

It the use of the fertilizers and control of the water thats the key, me thinks, though would be interested to know the type and model of the lights used.

Afraid we do not really have the room for an indoor set but hopefully might try somethng in the greenhouse later in the year if we can learn the secrets from Finngal :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
                      • Finngal

Finngal Gardener

Ratings:
                        +57
                        My setup only leaked water on the floor when I was alone building it and stubbornly decided I was perfectly capable of lifting the entire frame without any help. The entire system tilted and fell flat on the floor, some 50 liters of wdater poured out on my pants and about two million puffed clay balls joyfully rolled in all four directions. I sat precisely in the point zero seeing it happening on slow motions,and some expletives may have escaped.

The lamps are regular inexpensive greenhouse growth lights (led). They are connected in line. It's essential to get very high output lights to grow indoors at winter, and led is low cost way to achieve this.

Simple hydroponic is really simple to make. YouTube is full of videos of different setups, and basic plumbing pieces are easy way to make things more elaborate. For vine growing plants you do need little more frame or support, but like salad and herbs its really simple.

Just water, lights,nutrients, flow and ph. I'm looking forward to see what you guys come up with! I would love to have a separate hydro discussion space.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                          Ratings:
                          +6,097
                          I find this such an interesting thread. Isn't this what a gardening forum is all about. Share your endeavours and mention the highs and the lows. Honestly, I find this so interesting.

• Agree Agree x 2
                          • Friendly Friendly x 2
                          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +4,204
                            There isn't a separate sub section for Hydrophonics, so would just start a new 'Hydrophonics' thread here in this section with its title in captials, unless you can change the title of this thread.
                            If it takes off the moderators may open a new sub section.

Be interested to see links of any ytubes etc that you found the most informative etc and exactly what and how you monitor your water etc. or if you use an aquarium heater in it ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Finngal

Finngal Gardener

Ratings:
                              +57
                              Title changed :)
                              I know that currently I need to add a bucketfull (20 litres) of nutritient solution enriched water every week. So more or less weekly I prep the liquid and just pour it in the reservoir. I have a peek hole in the container, to take measurements and add water and maintenance, so its pretty simple.
                              In the beginning I had no idea, so it wasj ust to see daily until it became a routine.
                              With hydroponics I can also just add few buckets if I want to have a holiday.. it'll run few weeks unattended just fine.

My water container is about 70 litres, but I cannot run it empty as I use a fountain pump to elevate water - it won't work unless submerged.

Temperature is regular room temperature,which is about 21 degrees with led lights on, and it drops to 19 at night. I suspect summer temperature will go over 30 daytime, easily.
                              I suppose you could add a small aquarium heater if you run it outdoors. Only selecting a short one, as they need to be kept vertical to work. You'd also benefit from thermometer, as aquarium heaters are notoriously good at providing fish soups.

I have a digital thermometer/ph, and other that has ec and ppm for nutritients. Its just to make life easier, they cost like £45 together, and work just fantastic. They are useful especially when checking if more nutritient are needed, or a plant shows distress. Rather than guessing,just measure abd if thats ok,then its something else.

• Like Like x 1
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1
                              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                                +4,204
                                Hi,

New Hydro thread already! :yes:

You will have to take us through your set up with a step by step master class :)
                                Though think some of us would like to apply your methods to a more simpler pipeline or pot system than your very advanced one as not everyone has space for something that size.

We like loads of pics and videos.:)

Just reminds me of long,long ago, the folk who made the orginial Phostrogen granular fertilizer used to produce little paper leaflets on the ways to best use its products, one was an ebb and flow system, sadly no longer in print, but would have been interesting to look back on it.
                                Think in those days, before such lo cost meters were around you just drained the whole solution on a regular basis and fill up with new.