1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I need help with my plums

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Fat Controller, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,622
    Looking out into the garden this morning, I can see that my plum tree is awash with blossom (looks lovely), which will hopefully bode well for some fruit this year - but (isn't there always a but?) this tree has been in place for around five or six years now and whilst it has borne fruit in most of those years, we have never tasted a single fruit as every single year they are infested with some sort of bug.

This year needs to be different - the future of the tree depends on it, as I am not going to dedicate such a large space to a tree that we are not getting any produce from, and if we don't have success this year it is DEFINITELY coming down whilst it still at a size that can be handled.

What steps could/should I be taking to get fruit from this tree and give it a chance?

2. Fat Controller

Public Transport
    Ratings:
    +49,622
  3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    The first pest that occurred to me was sawfly FC. If so, I would do as I do for gooseberry sawfly, viz., apply neem oil. I know the sawfly is different but neem oil was very effective to such an extent that I no longer need to use it. I would not use neem oil at this stage though.
    Breaking the cycle of overwintering sawfly is important....a spray in autumn then a thick mulch followed by a spray in early spring ideally before the blossom. :)

However FC, I am more inclined to suspect plum maggots ....I think there is a trap you can hang on the trees to stop the plum moth in its tracks. It would be effective at this time of the year.

So, if the tree was mine I would concentrate on the plum maggots right now. In the autumn you can treat your tree with neem oil to deal with sawfly if the problem persisted :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,402
      I have used pheromone traps in the orchard for about 30 years. They help to control numbers of pesky moths, but, at least here, they don't eradicate the problem completely. You need to get them in the trees fairly early, IME earlier than they state on the packaging. Then it is important to remember to change the pheromone capsule after a few weeks. It's the only form of control available now...all and any effective sprays have been withdrawn from sale to the general public :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
      • Veggrower

Veggrower Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +13

I have this problem too. My pear trees are just about to flower and the plum trees won't be far behind. I've heard that you can buy a spray or even make your own but I can't find any for sale?

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,622
        I didn't have much luck either - a lot of the sprays that were available are no longer (rightly, I think) because they contained neonicotinoids. I am going to try the traps that hang on the tree again this year and see where I end up.

• Veggrower

Ratings:
        +13
        No I don't want to use chemical sprays either, I was hoping for an organic spray? I'll have a look at those pheromone traps you mention.

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,076
          I think without a definite ID of the pest something like a pheromone trap may not work, being as they only target the one specific pest.

• Veggrower

Ratings:
          +13
          It's a small white maggot in the middle of the plum. There's usually a small hole in the plum too. I should have taken a photo of it last year I guess.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,076
          Yeah not saying I would know what that pest is, just saying you need a definite ID before you can try any of the controls that are not chemical.

• Like Like x 1
          • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
            Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
            Ratings:
            +6,780
            When I first saw the title of this thread the first thought that crossed my mind was a good quality truss.

• Funny Funny x 2