I think I've finally cracked it!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by doubleudee, May 29, 2022.

1. doubleudee

doubleudee Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +10
    My first attempt at growing hot chilli peppers failed miserably (there is a thread on here somewhere about it), but this time - 'TA-DA'
    upload_2022-5-29_9-44-58.jpeg

I just used some compost in the tray and pressed the pepper seeds into it and it looks like it's worked, god knows how long it will before I see any peppers on them though, I'm going to re-pot most of them into separate pots to give them more room to grow when they've grown a little larger.
    Here's a couple more pics:-

upload_2022-5-29_9-49-35.jpeg

upload_2022-5-29_9-49-58.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,375
      Well done, I assume you tried earlier in the year, maybe, when it was colder?
      I tend to think you are a bit late now as they mostly take a long season to fruit, but on the other hand a good hot summer would help to move them along, maybe you can overwinter a couple of plants for early ones next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,642
        Well done, you should get something this season if you can put them somewhere with lots of sunlight. I would only keep 6 at the most so as not to crowd them unless you have space. I start mine indoors in January in a plastic bag, the seeds inside on damp tissue, they germinate in a week in an airing cupboard, then transfer to pots and compost. I never have success starting them outdoors even in a greenhouse.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
          +7,559
          Brilliant, it's so rewarding to have success after failed attempts. :) Which variety are they?

It's safest to keep the seedlings warm and bring them indoors in autumn to allow the peppers to mature- you'll be picking harvest until Christmas hopefully and good plants can be overwintered as houseplants.

• Like Like x 3
          • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
            Ratings:
            +54,365
            Brilliant @Selleri :dbgrtmb:.

I've got sweet peppers growing....but not very fast!! I'll be very surprised if we see any!!:noidea:

• Like Like x 1
            • doubleudee

doubleudee Apprentice Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +10
              Thanks all, I'll probably 'try' to keep a couple alive indoors when it starts to get colder, but even my conservatory gets cold in winter overnight after the central heating switches off, but the greenhouse will be a lot colder if I leave them there. At least I've fitted an automatic watering system inside the greenhouse so they won't dry out when I'm on my hols.
              A few years back I bought a couple of wall mounted heater units for my gym ( yes I used to work out before I broke my back), these units are just to prevent frost forming and will only raise the temperature to about 10 degrees celcius at most, so I was wondering whether to use them inside the greenhouse over the winter, but bringing the plants indoors from the greenhouse does seem a good option. I'll make an earlier start next year and bring some seedlings on indoors in January.

As for what type they are, sorry, I haven't a clue, I bought a bag of 'green finger peppers' from lidl and used some of the seeds out of those, they were marked as 3 chili hot on the packet so I just can't put a name to the type sorry.
              Cheers
              WD

• Like Like x 2