I want...

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by fumanchu, Jun 14, 2021.

1. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +650
    No problem @Black Dog:)Living in Scotland which is not the driest country in the world! I can only grow some Turks Head Lillies in the borders as I have found other varieties of Lillies really object to winter wet. This is why I grow Lillies in tubs. They stay in situ and are not fussed by very low winter temperatures ( -18 here in February). The soil in the tubs is pretty well bog standard from memory but each tub gets about 4 ins of rotted horse manure added to it during the winter, if I remember, nothing else, no plant food as such. What they do need during the growing season is water and lashings of it otherwise the flowers don’t form properly. Even up here I need to water the tubs regularly. These in the photo are about 8 years old and keep doing their thing year in year out without fail. Our water is on the acidic side and certainly not limey so have found Oriental rather than Asiatic Lillies do better here altho I do grow Asiatics as well. I find the darker coloured Lillies live longer with me. The likes of Casablanca and Miss Lucy ( my favourite as it has a lovely scent) grow fine for a few years and then conk out. All this said, I am in no way a Lily expert, just passing on my personal experiences. Cheek @shiney my rates are extremely competitive:)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1