1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

ID please - Plants on Allotment!

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by toppington, Jan 14, 2018.

1. toppington

toppington Tiny garden, always on the cheap!

Ratings:
    +1,179
    Morning all!

Would it be possible for some people to help me out with some IDs of plants please? Most of these are fruit trees/canes/bushes (i think!) which have been left on my allotment by the previous occupant, so am trying to work out what needs doing with them... and what they will grow into! :spinning: A very basic idea would be ace - don't need the specific type of raspberry etc, just a broad idea of what it is would be amazing, thank you!

Here goes! Sorry for the bad photos in advance - camera is rubbish!

Fruit Canes 1
    IMG_4346.JPG
    IMG_4347.JPG Are these potentially raspberry canes?

Random Plant 2:
    IMG_4338.JPG
    IMG_4339.JPG
    Is this a weed, or a Strawberry? There appear to be loads of bits of this plant all over the plot!!!!

Random potential vegetable 3 & 4:
    IMG_4325.JPG
    IMG_4326.JPG
    Any idea what these were/are?

Bush 5:
    IMG_4321.JPG
    IMG_4323.JPG
    Not prickly, brown stems which tend to be very meandering and this dried fruit from last year. Any ideas?

Bush 6:
    IMG_4316.JPG
    IMG_4314.JPG
    White stems, very very prickly, lots of stems in the bush and loads of thorns!

Canes 7:
    IMG_4305.JPG
    They are not very shallow in the ground or well planted. The stems are easily snappable and seem dry. Each one seems to have a large tuber at the end of it very shallow in the ground which are slightly yellow (i knocked one over by accident!). Are these raspberries again?

Bushes 8: IMG_4310.JPG
    These are all the same. They have not been trimmed and appear to have small flowers on the ends of them from last year.

Any help in advance is greatly appreciated - thank you so much! :)

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,339
    1 looks like Raspberry cane
    2 Strawberry
    Vegetables don't know dig up and see.
    5 Possible loganberry
    6 Gooseberry
    7 not raspberry because of tuber Jerusalem artichoke?
    8 More raspberry canes I think

• Like Like x 1
    • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      Does 3/4 have a big tuber/crown too? First thoughts were rhubarb?

Would have said first pic for 5 is a currant bush but the dried fruit (if its from same bush) looks like a rubus of some sort (blackberry/raspberry/hybrid)

• toppington

Ratings:
      +1,179
      Thanks so much @NigelJ and @Linz! This is excellent stuff - just helps me try and work out what to keep or not. I think am going to try and keep the fruit bushes and give away loads of fruit/jam as needs be - do like a good berry or two! :)

3 and 4 are individual plants. the pinky one i think might be a chard? I can't see a crown in the ground. I've got another couple of rhubarb crowns in other areas on the allotment which are just starting to sprout tiny little sprouts now - they don't look like that at all, and the leaves are a lot smaller. I will probably dig them up and see what they are in the interests of finding things out! :)

Thank you very much for your help. Ooh, especially the Loganberry - that sounds like an interesting and good one. I'm sure the bushes and canes will start coming back to life soon, there will probably be craziness abounds then! :)

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      They are Chard/Leaf Beet and will have self seeded (unless somebody harvested the seeds). You might benefit from a pic of Chard seedlings so you know what to leave in that area when weeding.

5) Looks like Blackcurrants (or possibly Redcurrants), but may have some other prickly stuff growing through them, probably spread by birds. Check them for swollen 'Big Bud' desease.

Your neighbouring plotholders (when they reappear in spring) will probably know what they are, but it can be more satisfying to ask "are they Jerusalem Artichokes and are those Blackcurrants?", etc.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,339
        Should have mentioned in the earlier post the gooseberry bushes are in sore need of a good prune. Remove all the thin weak shoots from around the base, cut out any damaged, dead or crossing branches and then shorten the remaining shoots by about a third.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • toppington

Ratings:
          +1,179
          @Scrungee I've no idea what happened on the plot before I got there but I've had a look at the Chard seedlings and can remember seeing a few of them! Exciting. I shall let them be and grow some more Chard! :) Think the Blackcurrant has the dreaded Big Bud Mite so will be trying to take some off and see what happens. It only seems to be affecting a few of the stalks so far, but will see. I've only met one other set of people so far so it will be good to meet the neighbours! Thank you for the help!

@NigelJ It does look like quite a "busy" bush! I will get pruning. And potentially looking up things to do with Gooseberries!!! :) Thank you for your guidance!

If anyone else has tips about how to make what is there better (eg pruning, staking, cleaning, anything!) please tell me! I've never grown anything like this before and can do with any kind of pointers, thank you all so much!

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Cut the gooseberry so its a kinda cup shape so you can get you hand in an net it once the fruit has set or mr blackbird will have the lot :chicken:

• Like Like x 1
          • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +14,389
            Pruning blackcurrants....take out the oldest, woodiest stems at the base, or, if necessary a bit higher, leaving evenly-spaced new growth. They appreciate a bit of ericaceous fertiliser in Spring...e.g. sulphate of iron.

• Like Like x 1
            • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
              Ratings:
              +21,339
              Wine, jam, pies, crumbles, summer pupping, gooseberry fool is good, if they get really ripe then straight from the bush or in a bowl with cream, may be a bit hairy for that depends on variety. As Zigs said net to keep the blackbirds off.

• Like Like x 1
              • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,686
                Hi @toppington, it is very exciting to see your allotment. What fun you are going to have! I could only identify strawberry and gooseberry, but as expected you have had some super plant detectives on the case. Just wanted to wish you all the best on your voyage of discovery, and to beg for photos as you progress! I am on limited garden activities for the next while, so will garden vicariously through GC!
                :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1