1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

ID Required

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Nikolaos, Apr 26, 2022.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,345
    For seedlings have a look at this site, the pictures are small but come with a brief description.
    Seedlings
    Eryngium alpinum Eryngium alpinum

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
      Ratings:
      +3,271

Pic of the seedling on above site is so tiny it is useless..will not enlarge.
      Do please add more pics as this mystery plant grows.
      I must go outside to examine my Eryngium alpinum!

• Like Like x 1
      • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,289
        Something I noticed this morning is that the leaves on my plant have symmetrical notches, typically toward the tips of the leaves, not sure if that feature points to one plant or the other.

Just had a funny thought, would be comical if Claire Austin sent me a bergenia instead of the eryngium! :heehee:

UPDATE Well, being unsure of ID was driving me nuts, so I resorted to digging the thing up! :biggrin: More convinced it's an eryngium now. Don't remember what bergenia roots were like but aren't they fibrous? :noidea: This was my plant's root system with a thick central section and they smelled just like carrots when crushed, which I certainly don't remember bergenia roots smelling of!

Nick

DSCN3081[1].JPG

• Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
        Ratings:
        +3,271
        Leaves now look too slim to be Bergenia.
        I just plant stuff...never look at the roots.

Pics this eve of Eryngium alp..not very good..in a rush..need food! eryngium  alpinum 27-04-2022 18-10-12.JPG eryngium  alpinum 27-04-2022 18-10-55.JPG eryngium  alpinum 27-04-2022 18-11-16.JPG eryngium  alpinum 27-04-2022 18-11-19.JPG eryngium  alpinum 27-04-2022 18-11-31.JPG eryngium  alpinum 27-04-2022 18-12-05.JPG eryngium  alpinum 27-04-2022 18-12-21.JPG

• Like Like x 1