1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Trellis

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by MR DARREN HOPPING, Jan 16, 2021.

1. MR DARREN HOPPING

MR DARREN HOPPING Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Need some advice for climbers for trellis-see attached pic.
    I am looking to buy a couple of long shallow planters and put them at the base of the trellis but need to know what would be a good climber or two to plant and that is fairly quick growing.
    I dont wany anything to girly if that makes sense-dont mind it flowering though.
    Any ideas please and when to plant?

Attached Files:

2. DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
    +259
    Hello MR DH and welcome to GC :spinning:
    I'm not going to suggest any climbers as I'll leave that to the many more experienced here who will no doubt be suggesting and advising you in abundance! [plus I'm a 'girl' and anything I like may be too 'girlie' for your tastes :rolleyespink: ].
    What I will suggest though is that you perhaps let us know which direction that trellis is facing as that will help others make more informed suggestions for you.
    Happy gardening!
    DMM

[cool trellis btw :) ]

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Well, you could try Clematis or small Climbing Roses, Darren. I use a lot of Clematis on Trellis
    upload_2021-1-16_14-55-18.png

upload_2021-1-16_14-55-55.png

upload_2021-1-16_15-6-14.png
    and a mixture of 2 or 3 will add interest, while I also usa Rose White Skyliner on a Trellis in a container by the Kitchen Door.
    upload_2021-1-16_14-57-18.png

upload_2021-1-16_15-7-31.png

You could try Honeysuckle, Passiflora, Thunbergia, Climbing Hydrangea, Trumpet Vine of which there are different varieties and colours. It all depends whether you want Hardy Perennial Climbers or Annuals. If you really want success with whatever you choose, then you need to get bigger containers that the one in the right of your image as that is far too small for plants to flourish in. You also need to consider the site, is it in Sun or Shade?, the container will need a mixture of General Purpose Compost with a mix of Agricultural Sand, and some Potting Grit, (say 5 parts Compost to 2 parts Sand and 2 parts Potting grit and I would also add a handful of Blood, Fish and Bonemeal to the mix . You will also have to feed the plants regularly to get the utmost out of them so a liquid feed of something like Tomato Feed would be good. But, in the end, it all comes down to personal taste regarding the choice of plants and the need to do some maintainance like a light pruning to keep them in shape.

• Like Like x 3
    • MR DARREN HOPPING

Ratings:
      +5
      Hi there-no offence meant and thank you-the trellace is south facing-what do you think of the garden at night?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        :heehee:

• DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,860
        Very nice but the trellis is very confined..does not look like there is much air flow...plants need to breath as well..just a thought...:)

• DMM

DMM Gardener

Ratings:
        +259
        Ha ..... none taken. By me anyhow. At least not at the moment :dunno:
        Is that night pic meant to lull me into losing my thought train re your 'girlie' comment? :oops:
        It looks delightful ........

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,635
        ooo... your night garden looks magical! :blue thumb:

Perhaps something with scented (white?) flowers would compliment the atmosphere? My all time favourite is evergreen Lonicera Henryi, it's a reliable base plant and grows well in all conditions. It could be combined with perhaps a showy Clematis, or another Lonicera. Or if you are in warmer part of the country, you could go for something exotic.

The constraint is the size of the container, a south facing trellis is likely to be sunny so the containers will need a lot of watering.

• Like Like x 1
        • MR DARREN HOPPING

Ratings:
          +5

Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply to my post. The info you have supplied is very useful and i will take it forward. Much appreciated :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • MR DARREN HOPPING

Ratings:
            +5
            Thank you-i have a thing for lights-ask my ex wife :)
            Oh how i cant wait for those eves when i can sit out there and listen to the birds-and the neighbours arguing!!

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,201
              Hi,

The key thing thats missing regarding climbers, it what height is there for them to climb up ?

Your pic looks like it may only be 4-5 ft ? though could it clamber over that shed ?

As @ARMANDII mentions your existing planter is very smalll for a climber, so easy for them to dry out on a south facing aspect. Much better to make up a planter than covers the width of that trellis and be at least 400mm deep and say 300m wide.

While you may want to go for the perennials, which can take a year + to get established, for this year consider quick and colourful annuals like Sweet Peas and Nasturtions etc

• Like Like x 1