1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Identification of orange climbing rose

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Liz7, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Liz7

Liz7 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have an orange climbing rose which I bought a few years back for my garden, thought it was as the label stated a Kordes Brilliant but have bought a second Brilliant recently which appears to have a different colour, the buds are red at first going over to a very dark orange. My original rose is a lovely rose and I would like to buy another, but need help in identifying it. Please see my pictures. It is now about one meter in height and flowers continuously. orange bush or climbing rose 2b.jpg orange  bush or climbing rose 2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,897
      Good evening @Liz7 my friend the problem with images of all roses is that the colours can all be different depending on the camera/soil/position etc with respect why are you sure that it isn't "Kordes Brilliant" is there any chance that you could do a petal count/scent etc:smile:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Brillant (shrub, Kordes, 1983)
      KORbisch

Orange blend Shrub.
      Registration name: KORbisch
      Exhibition name: Kordes' Brillant
      Bred by Reimer Kordes (1922-1997) (Germany, 1983).
      Shrub.
      Orange blend. Mild fragrance. Double (17-25 petals) bloom form. Blooms in flushes throughout the season.
      Height of 4' to 6' 7" (120 to 200 cm). Width of 4' (120 cm).
      . Disease susceptibility: very disease resistant.
      seedling of Sympathie ® × Unnamed Seedling

• Liz7

Liz7 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Thank you for your comments. I realize now that I obviously should have mentioned that I have this spring bought a 2nd Brilliant and planted it beside the first one and they do differ in a way that makes me suspect that one of them can´t be a "Brilliant". The petals can, as it is, only be counted from my photo as there are at the moment no flowers in bloom. There appears to be about 25 petals, so from that point it does not deviate. Only time will tell what part soil and position play. Colour wise my photo is very true to life. All official pictures of the Brilliant appear to be of a much darker orange/red hue.I upload the second Brilliant so one can see the colour difference. Very much grateful for your trouble of looking at my new picture and your comments! Second Kodes Brilliant 2021.jpg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,897
        Good evening @Liz7 my friend I have searched all the Roses with the name "Brilliant" and "Brilliancy in all my books and my database but I still think that the first Rose has just faded a little if you look at this image of a older and established "Brilliant Rose" you can see some of the blooms have lost some of the redness :smile:

Brilliant3.JPG Brilliant1.JPG Brilliant.JPG

Also sold as:
        Kordes Brilliant Rose bloom color: Orange red
        Extra Bloom Info: Double to full, in small clusters
        Rebloom: Good
        Class: Shrub
        Growth Habit: Tall, 4-7 feet, bushy
        Fragrance: Mild
        Hybridizer & year: Reimer Kordes, 1983
        Fragrant
        Flower Color: Orange
        Flower Time: Spring
        Summer
        Fall
        Uses: Cut Flower
        Wildlife Attractant: Bees
        Propagation: Other methods: Cuttings: Stem

• Liz7

Liz7 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Thank you so much for all your research in trying to identify my rose. I agree that the new Brilliant 2021 rose can be seen as with time with more shades of orange than a red rose. The problem is that my original rose bought in 2018 has more colours to its palett than just red going over to orange. My first photo shows exactly what it looks like when the flower is fully out. I have found a photo of the rose on the very day I bought it still in the shop before purchase which I enclose for comparison. As you can see it contains more than orange,shades of yellow/orange and pink, no red at all. This is why I still find the difference between the two roses to be so great and give doubt that it is the same rose. Brilliant in shop prior to purchase 2018.jpg

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,897
        Good afternoon @Liz7 my friend please leave it with me and I shall see what more I can discover :smile: Can I respectfully suggest that maybe you could get in touch with the supplier/shop which might give us a better idea,enjoy the rest of your day:smile:

ps Off the top of my head the only climbing Rose that comes anywhere near the colours of your lovely Rose is

"Josephs Coat"