1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Illegal immigrants

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pete, Sep 4, 2014.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    I've got to say I'm struggling a bit with the smile approach, I dont smile at anyone who is a non immigrant, without reason, so why suggest I should smile at immigrants?

Its kind of suggesting I should make a special effort regarding them, is this just another form of "positive discrimination" which I have heard mentioned on occasions.

But I thought discrimination was illegal, or does that only apply to certain people?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,523
      Snap! As someone who is on the other side of state education, let's just say our budgets are stretched enough as it is and keeping a large amount of primary school aged children in school to 6pm would most definitely not work. I'll leave it at that! :):smile::snooze:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Sorry I didn't explain it very well. My point was to raise the budget, and not to use the regular teachers for the additional hours.

I would like there to be a second "shift" of workers, who would specifically "teach" Sport / Music / Vocational skills, whatever. My point was to keep kids at school for more hours, and provide them with extra curricular activities in that additional time, that stops them roaming the street or being latch-key kids, and also would enable them to find something that they are interested in, and in particular that doesn't have to be something that their parents are knowledgeable about / able to provide / can afford.

I'd be very interested to hear why people working in the state education sector would be adverse to that

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,390
        The French government has been trying to achieve something similar here with primary-school education but as it's been left to communes to organise the extra activities, results are very variable according to the budget available. Mostly, it comes down to volunteers just 'keeping an eye' on the children which doesn't really encourage new interests or develop existing ones. It all comes down to money, doesn't it, K? Can't see any European government committing itself to the expenditure necessary....

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,514
        I smile at, and talk to, anyone and everyone (even animals and plants). They may think I'm a harmless old wrinkly - but I'm a cheerful, happy, harmless old wrinkly. :):old: It works for me!

The 'without reason' bit doesn't operate in my world. Being cheerful, happy and friendly is sufficient reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +14,390
          You'd fit in really well here, Shiney! Everyone speaks to anyone and everyone they meet, same when you go into the Post Office or a shop...you say 'hello' to everyone in there. There's no avoiding eye contact as I remember it in the UK. It all makes life a lot more pleasant!

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,897
            I to smile and make conversation with everyone regardless , and follow Shineys fine example,after a while it just becomes automatic,the world looks and feels a much better place when your wearing a smile,Pete you just need to practice more:heehee:

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.:heehee:

Smile,it's free therapy:roflol:

A smile is happiness you'll find right under your nose.:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Adendoll

Adendoll Super Gardener

Homemaker
              Ratings:
              +1,308
              Many schools do buy in extra curricular activities as suggested.
              Lots of primary schools start with a breakfast club from 7.30. and end at 5pm or later with pupils taking part with a diverse range of activities including, sport, music, ballet, drama and growing food.
              It is usually the school holidays that are problematic, but again many schools loan the premises so extra curricular sport activities can be held.
              The most limiting factor for many schools is the lack of playing fields and facilities.
              Given that we are a 24 hour society I do not think a generic education system cannot be tailor made to fit the working patterns of all parents. We will always need a support network of family or childminders to help working families, with school age children.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
                Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                Indeed, but my view is that the extra money spent would be saved on [not] having to deal with unruley behaviour, and locking adolescents up, later in life. A probable hidden benefit of more capable adults in the workplace later on, and perhaps more healthy ones too (if the sport thing creates a healthier lifestyle throughout life)

Indeed. I have spoken to several of my Daughter's university contemporaries, and they universally say that the optional extra curricular facilities at their schools were not well attended - often simply because it wasn't "cool". Several appeared to have had brilliant facilities, dedicated teachers spending countless hours - how sole destroying if the kids don't take part because it isn't cool or whatever. Hence I would make attendance compulsory by lengthening the school day.

Heck! If it is already available as a resource, but just not well attended, then make attendance a pre-requisite for signing up for that school, no? No cost at all then (not that that is my expectation at all)

I wouldn't be adverse to kids doing prep at school in that interval too, but I dunno if that would be a good thing.

Sold off for quick-profit for housing perhaps? A disastrous decision, easily taken, never possible to undo. Although in city centres I don't know how playing fields could be provided.

There are schools around here with excellent facilities - all weather pitches and the like. Paid for by the tax payer, but locked up from 3pm on Friday until 9am Monday. Try to hire one, for the local XXX Club, and they will say "Our insurance won't cover it" or "We don't have anyone to unlock it for you". Nuts. What does an all weather pitch cost, £half a million probably. I think its a crime that isn't available to the community.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +46,192
                  pete, you should try smiling on public transport, I always seem to get empty seats either side when I give a big grin to people dithering about sitting next to me, it works even on a crowded train :)

• Funny Funny x 7
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +4,951
                    It is much the same here in Hay, but then there are no immigrants here!!! :heehee:

Val

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                    +19,596
                    Excellent idea. This is something I've often pondered myself. If I could find the time and motivation, I've often pondered the idea of creating a website that links clubs to people. Not like the usual 'advert' sites that come two a penny, but rather one where people say "I want to do this", and clubs say "we do this", like a sort of dating app matching activities to people. Then if someone is toying with the idea of starting a club but doesn't know if the interest is there or can't be bothered with the advertising and admin, this site would handle all that too.

But my project idea aside, back to your specific point, our martial arts club is at a school. The notice boards there are full of ads for clubs and activities. It makes perfect sense. Not only is it stuff for people to do, but it generate revenue for the school which presumably benefits the pupils in school time somehow. Its not quite what I think you meant though, as these activities are often post tea time, to give people a chance to get there after work. I think you meant pre tea time, to keep the kids busy until the parents get home.

• Like Like x 1
                    • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
                      Ratings:
                      +598
                      I've lost track of this thread, illegal immigrants, smiling, education?

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                        Ratings:
                        +89,897
                        Guilty as charged,my defence of the smiling.

Smiling:smile:
                        Good morning WestWales yes it has wandered just a tad off topic at on the rare occasion with the odd post,but It IMHO I think a little bit of humour in an emotive and important subject of this kind is a good thing,:smile:

Education and all other topics are all appertaining to the initial title of this thread,there are some of the best posts and explanations that I have seen on this subject ,I now have gained more knowledge and understanding and have enjoyed reading this thread, its a credit to all our members that they can discuss and debate such a subject as (Illegal Immigrants ) in an adult and friendly manner,that's why we have the best Forum ,because we have the best Members:smile:

I will get off my soapbox now and go and have a lie down:heehee::blue thumb:

• Like Like x 5
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +23,089
                          Education - one of the reasons that we need immigrants.

Smiling - some peeps thought that immigrants were a surly bunch so Doddy told them to smile, smile, smile!

• Like Like x 1