1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Impatiens turning white?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Calum, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Calum

Calum Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Hello. The impatiens I've recently planted in my hanging baskets are turning white!? I'm wondering if they are being bleached by so much sun just now while they are tender. Is that a thing?
    Pictures below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In contrast, the ones in my tub (and not in so much direct sunlight are fine). See below

[​IMG]

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi @Calum ,

I would say they're in too much sun. If like us you've had hot, sunny days the last few weeks then what can happen is the sun and heat stops the chlorophyll forming inside the leaves therefore they appear white.

Bearing in mind that Impatiens don't really like too much sun or heat ( in a basket they are better off mixed with other plants to give them some shade and also moisture coming off the other plants leaves ) I would move them to a more shady area and fill the baskets with something else.

Your plants should green up if you move them now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Hi Calum, KFF has given you some great advice. But just one other point impatiens namely Busy Lizzies, suffer from a type of mildew. This decimated them over 10 years ago. I tried growing some last year but mildew was still there and killed them all off. Hope yours do well but be aware.

• Calum

Calum Gardener

Ratings:
      +17
      Thank you both. As a complete novice I'm willing to guess it's the sun rather than mildew. Only reason is it is only effecting the south facing baskets. The ones on the other side of the house are fine.

I've moved them for now, but what might be a good substitute? I love lobelias and petunias but haven't been able to get any yet.

Having said that, last time I planted lobelia this early they had gone to seed by July and then looked terrible.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020