1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Incorrect greenhouse installation

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Skylark1, Mar 24, 2022.

1. Skylark1

Skylark1 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a new Elite lean to greenhouse which has been incorrectly fitted by a local company. The problem is that the base does not overlap the brick base but has been positioned on top of it. As a result it leaks all round. His solution is to fill it with silicone which is not acceptable to me. I think the greenhouse will need to be dismantled, the bricks repositioned and the greenhouse reinstalled. I don't have confidence in his ability to do this. What should I do?

greenhouse 1.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,974
    Well yes, it looks like the base is too big for the greenhouse, did they lay the base bricks?

3. Skylark1

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes they did lay the bricks. The problem is the cill of the frame should be aligned with the edge of the bricks and overlap it, not be secured on top.

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,974
    Yes I can see that, I was just confirming that they laid the base.
    In that case have you asked them to come back and put it right, I guess you have and they have just come up with the silicone idea.

Yeah its been done wrong, but how you manage that I'm not sure, dont know what company you used etc. or what has been said between you.

5. Skylark1

Ratings:
    +3
    He is coming back this weekend. I haven’t told him yet that it is wrongly installed; only that it leaks. I just don’t feel confident that he can put it right.

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,974
    Difficult one, but I think you need to show that you know its wrong.
    Explain that it should just lip over the edge of the brickwork and that is the reason it leaks badly.

Having said that your average greenhouse is not really a totally water tight structure and dampness around that area is to be expected.

I've tended to seal my greenhouses around that part but that is just because you will get some dampness around the base

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Hi @Skylark1,

We have the same type of greenhouse and yes its totally wrong the way the Bottom Cill bar has been placed on the brick.

That 15mm channel on the edge of the Cill ( that the bottom of the door uses ) needs to overhang the brick / base on all three sides.

Is your greenhouse new or second hand, its always better to use the proper aluminium base if possible, but buying one is another problem as Elite are on typically a 6 month turnaround as we found out when looking for spare channels to extend ours.

We do have the original manual but it does not have a clear picture of how the cill overhangs the base for your installer to follow, however could take a photo of ours if any help ?

Edit - just found a couple of web pics that show how that channel overhangs the base, be it metal or brick.

001156.jpg

001157.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
        Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
      • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
        Ratings:
        +6,780
        I would be inclined to put a second layer of brick on top of the first but in the correct position. You would actually only need to do that on two adjacent edges.

• gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
        Ratings:
        +4,577
        When not assembling on a base plinth, then you need to make sure the base is square and level as possible.

A few options.

1. Dismantle and relay the bricks or add a second layer, remember, by adding a second layer your overall height will also increase.

2. Do away with the bricks altogether and purchase the base plinth, depending on the type and size of your greenhouse you should be able to get one within a few weeks, powder coated would take longer.

3. Get some stainless steel flat bar to place on the existing bricks but positioned so the sill overlaps the steel bar.

4. Hire a Stihl saw and trim the brick work so the sill sits in place.

• Skylark1

Ratings:
        +3
        Thank you. Thank guess I’ll have to see what he suggests.
        The greenhouse is new and I do actually have the aluminium base but it was too tall for the greenhouse to fit under the eaves. The pics are great. Presumably the greenhouse needs to be dismantled in order to correct this?

• Skylark1

Ratings:
        +3
        Option 4 might be an option! Thank you.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,203
        Always hard to comment when just seeing a small part of your greenhouse, but the proper aluminium or steel base is typically just 5" deep and 1" wide which we would have though could easily have been used if a little trench could have been dug out, or is there a lot of concrete around it?

The base makes the whole structure more solid, square and has securing pegs that can be concreted or hammered in.

It can be fitted without dismantling the metalwork, though some or all of the glass might have to be temporarily removed though it depends on the competance of the fitters.

The brick in the photo looks a bit odd with a rib on one edge ? plus cannnot see any signs of mortar etc holding it in place ?

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,790
        Aside from anything else it looks bad. They should have seen the issue when putting it up but it looks like a dismantling job to me.

They can possibly reposition the frame to overhang on one corner, so two sides will sorted (eg left side and bottom), then trim the bricks if the other two sides (right side and top). It depends on how big they made the base

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,203
        • Skylark1

Ratings:
          +3
          Armed with all the good advice I explained the problem to him when he came at the weekend. He was not very happy and his initial comment was ‘I don’t want to take it all down’. I tried to negotiate a partial refund and then he said he would dismantle it. I don’t have confidence that he’ll do a good job so I’m holding out for the partial refund. I have found a professional installer who is prepared to put it right for me. You learn by experience
          Thank you to everyone for your helpful suggestions!

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1