Is it possible to grow indoors?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by cinnamon:g, Aug 16, 2020.

1. cinnamon:g

cinnamon:g Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    I have a very limited amount of space and would like to grow some edibles. Is it possible to grow anything from seed entirely indoors? and if so what would that be?

I hear people have success growing chillies indoors. My house is east facing (UK) and covered in shade so not a huge amount of sunshine to play with though I do have an attic conversion that I use as an office which is very bright all day but the temperature swings wildly from season to season and would consider using this space along with an indoor greenhouse if it was to be considered worthwhile, though I would not want to create too much of a mess or introduce any pests to the home.

I have no previous experience growing anything before so any and all advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,207
    Hi,

As to growing edibles, yes its possible to grow quiet a few things with the aid of the cheap led lighting, but in all honesty its more for the interest of growing them than the actual crop...?
    Lettuce, Herbs ,Sprouting Seeds like Cress etc are often grown this way.

In the attic as long as you can give it summer ventilation, its more the cold in winter that will be a problem for any plant.
    If you cannot heat the whole room, you could build a small frame with 25mm bubble wrap and a small tubular heater /thermostat to keep the plants ticking over during the cold months, eg 5 to 10c will keep most plants alive.

By all means try Chillies, always worth a go, but if flowers for the house are of interest then many plants like Fuchsia, even Orchids are happy in lower light conditions.
    Also a plant new to us, Streptocarpus is ideal for such indoor growning, which give masses of flowers for 9 months of the year, many Ytubes of folk growing them indoors under lights.

3. cinnamon:g

cinnamon:g Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Thank you. Just the sort of advice I needed. I will stick to house plants at most if I do decide to try something indoors.