1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to save this one ?

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by CharlesAC, Apr 10, 2020.

1. CharlesAC

CharlesAC Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello all, hope you are keeping safe,

I've got this guy in my garden (don't know the name), it is not very healthy for some reason, every year I am removing some dead wood, in spring some new growth appears but very little and they quickly join rest of the unhealthy leaves.

Is there anything I can do to improve the situation ? Or does it have to go ?

Many thanks,

Charles

IMG_0917.jpeg

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Looks like a Pieris. If so then the most likely problem is that your soil is alkaline and they really do need an acid soil.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • CharlesAC

Ratings:
      +5
      It is indeed, thanks for the identification.

Is there a practical way to make its soil acidic ? It is currently sitting in London soil, I suppose mostly clay, hence alkaline.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,509
      Looks like it surround by lime stone chipping as well ? which are alkaline . You could try potting it up into ericacous compost and cut it back hard and cross your fingers . Or move it else where but I doubt it be happy unless you give it acidic soil conditions or at least neutral . Personally I get rid , the plants got to fit the garden / conditions not the other way around.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,204
        Hi,

Trying to change the general ph of an area like that is very difficult, best to use plants suited the the ph of your garden rather than the other way around.

What about the gravel bed, from your pic it looks like limestone chippings, so that may make the soil very alkaline.

Also not sure what the small green plant is around its stem ? what it will be doing its stopping the rain getting down into the roots as well as eating up any nutrients.

If you really want to keep that plant there, then suggest you buy a large pot/tub and use some peat based compost or ericaceous compost , both acid based, and then sink the pot into the gravel bed, leaving it just proud of the chippings.

Edit - Oops - @Perki beat me to it :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Realistically, no. I've seen many attempts at growing Acid loving plants on Alkaline soil, but I've never seen one with big happy plants 10 years later.

I agree. I think the best advice is to not grow plants that need acid soil on alkaline soil, pick something that will grow well instead.

My Mother wanted a Pieris - its a very pretty plant. Grew it in a big tub with the right soil, wasted loads of time and money on chelated chemicals, but it never looked happy and I can't believe (benefit of 20:20 hindsight) that it ever actually fulfilled her expectations

• Like Like x 2
          • CharlesAC

Ratings:
            +5
            Thanks for all the informative responses, there is another Pieris in the garden, not far away from this one and that one seems to be happy. So perhaps the soil is ok-ish but limestone chippings are to blame. I'll give it a go and remove chippings around the plant and give it a bit more time before I remove it.

Thanks again.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            Soil acidity can change locally around a garden, perhaps more so where there are alkaline materials / rocks dotted about. Charlie Pridham at Roseland House Garden and Nursery talks of how much the pH varies around his garden ... but I can't remember whether he attributes it to something obvious like Calcium rocks ... might be worth a go with a soil test kit?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,043
            I've got fairly neutral soil with the occasionaly lump of chalk in it, but manage to get away with growing a couple of camellias and a small rhodo.

I think its probably the chippings that are causing most of the problem, I'm assuming it was smaller than that when planted, so probably grew well for a few years.