1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it too late to plant potatoes?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Samuel_1988, May 25, 2014.

1. Samuel_1988

Samuel_1988 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Morning all,

I've decided that I was going to plant some more potatoes about 2 weeks ago but have since been struggling to buy any (that have not already started to grow alot in the sacks they come in).

I was just wondering if it is now too late for potatoes?

Also, I did see some in the pound shop but they had about 10-15cm of growth on them - I was wonder if it is worth buying some to see if they would produce a crop? Presumably I could just take off the extra long growth and there should be enough energy reserves for the potato to make it to the surface so it can start photosynthesising?

Many thanks,

Samuel

2. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    It should be OK still to plant First or Second early varieties which take about 12 weeks to mature, so you would have some 'new' potatoes end August / early September. Ideally the potatoes should be chitted, but there's not enough time left for that. The ones you describe in the Pound Shop seem a bit far gone and the shoots would easily break off when planting.

Are you intending to plant in the ground or in containers?

• Like Like x 2
    • Samuel_1988

Samuel_1988 Gardener

Ratings:
      +14
      In the ground.

Thanks for your reply :)

• Ramshackle

Ramshackle Gardener

Ratings:
      +46
      I planted ones a few weeks ago with 20-30cm at least and they were purple and past it. They still came up and il still get new potatoes out of it.

Attached Files:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Go for it, cold wind hasn't done us any favours so far this year, you'll get some sort of a crop :)

• fileyboy

fileyboy Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +421
      Over the last few years I have planted potatoes in June,(some of us on the plots call them June jumpers:yes:) You can dig them up and us them after 10 to 12 weeks and they taste lovely.Also if you want to keep some of them for Christmas dinner you can put them in a tin box and bury them in the garden ans have new potatoes for Christmas dinner.BUT don't forget to mark where you bury them :oops::oops:

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,077
        Never could work out what the big rush was about in planting spuds.
        If the ground is cold they dont grow anyway.

About now they will take off and not look back.

• Agree Agree x 2