1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

IS there a reliable and DURABLE oscillating sprinkler?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by LawnAndOrder, Jun 28, 2022.

1. LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
    Ratings:
    +275
    We have had nothing but trouble with oscillating sprinklers of different makes. They never last more than a few months, after which they either get clogged up or stop oscillating. We have tried various ways of unblocking holes (including soaking in vinegar etc.) but to no avail.

Reviews online are invariably split between 5* and 1*.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

2. hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
    +227
    My only suggestion, having had the same problem myself, don't leave the sprinkler in the shed or any other place where dust can get in, without putting it in a plastic bag etc to protect it. My Karcher oscillating sprinkler started to get stuck so I took two screws out of the bottom of it and sprayed wd40 in. That did work, but for for how long remains to be seen.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,521
    I've had a number of sprinklers over the years at various prices and variable success. It, of course, also depends on how large a garden you have, the length of the hose and the water pressure. If you have a long hose and/or low water pressure then some of the cheaper ones don't work well and seem to pack up fairly quickly.

Our garden is large and we get very little rain here in Shineyland, so the sprinkler gets a lot of use. I used to find Gardena a good make but in more recent years they have been less reliable. The one I have had for the last four years is this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kärcher-Premium-Oscillating-Sprinkler-5-320SV/dp/B0036ECH2G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1530115633&sr=1-10&keywords=lawn+sprinkler&refinements=p_36:146167031&linkCode=ll1&tag=diygarden05-21&linkId=56fce6a0e9b26d3bcd8d8ba17692993d&language=en_GB&th=1

It has never given me any trouble. It has fine holes that have never got blocked :fingers crossed: and there is an attached tool for unblocking if it happens. The adjustable sprays are handy as you can switch on and off individual areas of spray to make it a wide or narrow spray. I've just read in the attached link that it covers better if you don't have an 'end stop' type of connector. I have one and I can still get a coverage of 60ft x 40ft.

I just watched the video in that link and didn't know it had pins that can be brought down to stick into the ground :rolleyespink:. I also didn't realise that I can change the volume of water from the sprays :doh:. I've always been happy with the way it was set at the factory. :noidea: I'll have to experiment now!

4. hoofy

hoofy Gardener

Ratings:
    +227
    That's the same one as mine @shiney. Like I said, mine did stick this year after a couple of years of light use, but I put it down to dust/grit getting in, somehow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,833
      @Fat Controller recommended a gardena one to me and it's been a solid performer. Can't recall the model off top of my head though...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,833
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +118,521
        @hoofy I guess that may have been your problem. :blue thumb: Mine gets pretty heavy use as we have so little rain.

The local farmer, who has the fields all around me, has already got his watering system on the go except in some of the fields where he has rapeseed waiting to be harvested.

• LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
        Ratings:
        +275
        Thank you all so much for your ultra-prompt replies.

Order placed ... Dum spiro spero

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,521
        You're not from South Carolina, are you?

Fidem habe :dbgrtmb:

• LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
        Ratings:
        +275
        From the South, yes, but not Carolina!
        Our motto is: Concordia parva crescunt

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,521
        I remember when I was chatting with Gaius :old: that I said that quote would never catch on. Wrong! :doh:

It became the motto of the Merchant Taylors and was one of the originators of the saying 'At Sixes and Sevens' - the type of useless things you can learn at school! :heehee: They'll be at position seven in this year's Parade.

• LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
        Ratings:
        +275
        [​IMG]

Attached Files: